Bug or no? (App Store & Touch ID)

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by yaboyac29, Nov 3, 2014.

1. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

i downloaded a new app yesterday, had to enter my password and it said "must be entered after every restart being using touch ID"

thought okay fine..

today, downloaded a new app and had to enter password again? defeats the purpose of touch ID ....

i haven't restarted the phone.

2. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Mine works as it should. Check your Touch ID settings.

3. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Did you enroll or delete a finger? You have to re-enter your password after doing either.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If you don't download anything from the store for a certain period of time you have to enter your password again.

5. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

I have found this as well. Every time you restart the phone, when you then buy something from the App Store, it ALWAYS asks for a password instead of using Touch ID.

What is the point of Touch ID on the App Store if a password is ALWAYS required after a restart? :confused:

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's for added security after a restart. I think that the thinking is that most people don't restart their phones too often..

7. yaboyac29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It should only be after a restart

8. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Correct. You only have to enter your password if you restart and I think maybe if it can't read your fingerprint after multiple attempts.

9. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Does seem stupid that you have to enter your Apple ID password, but can see a use case, tho odd one.

User unlocks phone, goes to finger print register screen, leaves it there and leaves phone lying around unlocked. I come by, register a print of mine, now I have access to stuff. So in case of iTunes stores, could easily make a purchase etc with my finger print if doesn't ask for password. Like I said, a reach.

More realistic: folks with skill and equipment have lifted prints off the sensor and duplicated, allowing access via a plastic mold. Again, another layer of security should bad guy let phone power off or owner did not access iTunes since last boot.

10. yaboyac29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not arguing about requiring a pw after restart.

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The authentication token is stored in RAM and is lost when you restart the phone. Regenerating it requires your password.

Having it persist across reboots would be a security problem.

12. BB20720 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue "yaboyac29" with my iPhone 6. My Touch ID is active for iTunes and I always get prompted for my Apple ID instead of my finger print. I have not rebooted my phone for weeks either.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You are talking about 2 different things at the same time.

1. If you restart your phone you cannot unlock it the first time with Touch ID because the iPhone keeps the Touch ID decryption keys in memory rather than in storage so a reboot would flush that out and force you to enter a passcode.

2. Once you have used the touchID successfully to unlock the phone it should work on the Appstore.

P.S. Stop restarting your phone so much?