Bug: udating iPad to iOS 7.1 messed up fullscreen iPhone apps

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by vjim, Mar 14, 2014.

1. vjim macrumors newbie

After updating my iPad mini to iOS 7.1, native iPhone apps running fullscreen show the signal, operator logo, time, and battery on the top part inside the app border itself. Prior to it, on iOS 7.xx, it only shows the app itself fullscreen, no indicators at all. But on iOS 6, the native iPhone app would run fullscreen and the indicators would be on top, but on the black borders. Has anyone else noticed this? There are native iphone games (and some apps like Vine, Paper, myATT) that are not ipad compatible yet and they are a huge visual blunder.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      852.7 KB
      Views:
    • download.png
      download.png
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      401.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      801.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Cubelia macrumors newbie

Yeah I got the same problem with my iPad mini on iOS 7.1(Not sure if this only happened on iOS 7.1),too.
    pic.jpg
    Any clues?

3. gewawd macrumors member

gewawd

Hi, vjim. Is your iPad mini a first or second generation? I am not able to speak of a second generation, so my views are stated from a first gen mini.

Anyway, prior to iOS 7, scaled up iPhone apps were allowed to be run on the mini in either 1X or 2X mode with the status bar always at the top of the iPad.

With iOS 7, iPhone apps are now locked to 2X mode on non-retina iPads since it now uses Retina graphics as default. Also with iOS 7, iPhone apps that are scaled for iPad hides the status bar.

With iOS 7.1, Apple brought back the status bar on scaled iPhone apps but it's not on the top of the iPad anymore, instead, as you mentioned, it is now attached to the iPhone app. Therefore an iPhone-like status bar appears at the top of the app. I believe Apple made this change to show the network progress indicator, or this may just be a feature request from the Apple community.

However, this implementation on iOS 7.1 isn't perfect as it ignores whether an app runs fullscreen on iPhone (w/o the status bar) or not. Therefore on your screenshots with fullscreen iPhone apps, the status bar is still present. But don't worry, as this bug is most likely to be noticed by other iPad users and will probably fixed in upcoming iOS updates.