Bug Video Playback Delay with Loss of Internet

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by PIX, Apr 27, 2014.

1. PIX, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014

PIX macrumors member

I noticed a serious bug with streaming video content on an iTunes (Home Sharing) network with regard to video playback on the Apple TV with loss of internet connection.

This issue was tested on:
    1 x D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router
    1 x TP-Link TL-WR702N Router
    1 x Thomson DCM476 cable modem
    2 x Apple TVs 3rd gen v.6.1.1
    1 Mac Mini 2009 running MacOS 10.9.2, iTunes v.11.1.5
    1 Mac Mini 2012 running MacOS 10.9.2, iTunes v.11.1.5
    Ethernet/Wireless
    All MP4 video is trans-coded in Handbrake

I have been able to verify that by removing my internet access (disconnecting power to my modem) video content doesn’t take the usual (Ethernet) 1-2 sec to begin playback. What I get instead is a 1-2 minute delay prior to playback. I did a factory restore of one of the Apple TVs as part of the testing. If not for recent service outages in my area I wouldn’t have discovered this issue. Interesting thing is this doesn’t affect music playback.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? It would be an interesting experiment to disconnect the power to your modem to see if you get similar results? If someone has an Airport Extreme let me know if you experience this issue?

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Um, how do you expect it to play without internet?

3. PIX thread starter macrumors member

All the video content is on local drives.

4. Billit, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014

Billit macrumors member

While I would think that one would not need an internet connection to stream across my own network using Home Sharing, I tested this myself by disconnecting the ethernet cable from my cable modem to the AirPort Extreme.

2012 Macmini, latest OSX, latest iTunes
    iPad Air, latest iOS
    aTV3, 2nd gen, running 6.0.2
    AirPort Extreme 2GB TC (white tower), latest firmware

iPad had no issues playing a movie from my iTune library on the mini.
    The aTV3 would not. I could browse my library but playing a movie or tv show resulted in that rotating wheel thingy. I did not wait 1-2 minutes that the OP did

I tested each device only once as my wife wanted to know if the internet was down. Oops.

So it seems to be a mixed bag. Maybe the internet is used to verify Home Sharing?

5. PIX thread starter macrumors member

That would be my guess. I think the long delay (for playback) is the verification timing out? Thanks for doing the test Billit. Apparently it doesn't make any difference if the router is an Airport Extreme.

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Are these videos you downloaded from iTunes? I know that for Videos, it requires internet access to validate you did actually purchase the video (there are numerous threads about this).... Further, Home sharing does require validation from Apple servers, but I thought that was only on initial setup. I can't be sure how often each device "phones home" to validate..... Me personally, I haven't experienced this and we tend to lose internet quite frequently (poor broadband service from either provider in my neighborhood).

7. PIX thread starter macrumors member

Hi Paul,
    I don't have any iTunes (downloaded) video. Do you have any non-Apple downloaded video content (like Handbrake trans-coded) on your Home Sharing network? How long does it take for your local video to begin playing assuming you have this?

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Most of my content is transcoded and all are served via wired ethernet to ATV's. I've not noticed hiccups in video playback when my internet goes out.

9. PIX thread starter macrumors member

Are you running"
    ATV v.6.1.1?
    iTunes v.11.1.5?