Bug with Active Sync (I'm assuming) and calendar events on Exchange- CAN U REPLICATE?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Scott-n-Houston, Aug 21, 2008.

  1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    Location:
    Houston (duh)
    #1
    Ok. I found this on my phone first, and verified that it could replicate on another co-workers phone and our same Exchange Server.
    Then I also had it replicated on a friend's phone and different Exchange Server.
    Both Servers are Exchange 2003, and all phones are 2.0.2 (but this also occurred on 2.0.1).

    Here's how to get it to show up.

    1) Create a calendar event on your iPhone. Make it plain with only an event name... no alert... nothing else.

    2) Make sure it's pushed to Outlook

    3) Then go add a one line, simple note to the event in your iPhone. Make it small like "testing" and that's it. (DO NOT MAKE IT 2 LINES)

    4) Verify that it updates in Outlook

    5) Now, go edit the event again... this time go into the Note, and edit the Note. Hit "Return" to get to the 2nd line and add anything you like.

    6) It won't replicate this new information to Exchange/Outlook. (THE BUG)

    7) You can make any changes to the event you like on your iphone at this point, and it won't sync them back correctly... including changing time. The only change it will sync is a deletion of the event.

    8) If you edit the note on the event on the iPhone and delete the the carriage return (created by the "Return button"), it will then sync everything again including any other changes you may have made like time changes and/or adding an alert.

    The Carriage Return or invisible character created by hitting "Return" when typing a note seems to choke it. You won't see an error or anything.


    Test it yourself. Post your results. If you find the bug like I did, and was able to replicate on an iPhone on our Exchange Server as well as an iPhone on a different Exchange Server, call it in...

    This is a fairly complex bug so it's probably not widely reported.
     
  2. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    Location:
    Houston (duh)
  3. mbking macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2008
    #3
    I experienced the same bug and reported it to Apple. It's repeatable. I actually haven't tried it recently with the 2.0.2 software. I found the bug on 2.0. I think we can expect this one to be corrected.
     
  4. rioja macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 19, 2008
    #4
    Ok, I ran this test 3 times and all 3 times it DID work. Every change I made was sent successfully to Exchange. I was careful to follow the OP instructions for the test.

    I'm on Exchange 2007 and iPhone is 2.0.2, so looks like it's fixed, but must be Exchange 2007 that fixes it.
     
  5. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    Location:
    Houston (duh)
    #5
    Interesting... it would be nice to have some other Exchange '07 tests. All the tests I've been around were '03.

    THANKS for checking it out.
     

Share This Page