Bug with answering a call with bluetooth headset

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by netnothing, Sep 22, 2014.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

So I've seen a few posts where people are also having this issue.

Seems with iOS 8, unlike iOS 7.....if you get an incoming call, and you have a bluetooth headset that is OFF.....and you turn it on (and ti connects to the phone) to answer the call, the incoming call audio does not automatically select the headset, it stays on the phone.

This is different than how it worked in iOS 7.....where it would select the bluetooth even if the bluetooth was off when the call came in.

If the bluetooth headset is ON when the call comes in, the correct audio setting of the bluetooth is selected.

I did find the following setting in Accessibility that will force it for now, but it seems to clearly be a bug.

Settings -> General -> Accessibility ->Call Audio Routing -> change to Headset from Automatic.

I've tested a bit and this will select the headset as the audio, even if it's off when the call comes in and you turn it on to answer the call. It also seems to work fine where if the headset is off, and you pick up the phone to answer a call it will be on the internal speaker.

The only issue with this I see is if you are the type of person that leaves your BT headset on, and a call comes in and you pick up the phone NOT with the headset, the input will not auto select the phone...it'll select the headset.

Hoping Apple fixes this soon.

-Kevin

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Not trying to be argumentative but it sounds like it is working as intended. You switched the settings and when the call comes in and the BT headset is on, regardless if you pick up the phone it will stay on the BT headset since that is the audio source it has detected as the main. It doesn't know that you are not wearing it. Now, if you are out of range of the headset it should switch to the phone speaker. If I am understanding you correctly.

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Oh, correct.....when I force the setting to the headset, and the headset is connected to the phone, it's working as it should....I'm just saying that doing that it will always force to the headset even if you pick up the phone and put it up to your ear. I guess I'm saying forcing the setting is a workaround to the overall issue....with that caveat.

Really, it's the Automatic setting issue that is broken. If it's set to Automatic....it's suppose to detect HOW you picked up the phone, at least it did in iOS 7.

I submitted a bug report for this.

-Kevin

4. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I've noticed this as well (and it drives me nuts too). This issue is new with the iOS 8 GM. I used all of the iOS 8 betas and none of them exhibited this behavior. Hopefully Apple will fix it in 8.0.01

5. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ahhh...good to know! Fingers crossed for 8.0.1.

-Kevin

6. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just had my bug report closed as a duplicate. The original bug is still listed as Open.

-Kevin

7. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

For the life of me I can't understand why Apple can't get bluetooth right. Ever.

Every release since they added BT to iOS has been bug city. They lag in compatibility with the latest BT standards and what they do support usually doesn't work right.

iOS 8 will not work with our 2012 Lexus on either iP5 or 6. All other BT devices work fine as did the 4S and 5 running iOS 7.x