Bug with Contacts?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by robjulo, Mar 24, 2014.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

I noticed this morning while typing in a name to send an iMessage that contacts my wife would message (that I have never messaged) are showing up when I start typing letters into the "To:" box.

iCloud contacts is turned "off" on my phone but I believe it is turned "on" on her phone. We share the same main Apple ID email address (ie for itunes, icloud, find my iphone) but have our own individual Apple IDs for imessage, facetime etc.

It seems that, even though icloud contacts are turned "off" on my phone, they are showing up anyway. Seems like a bug or is this normal behavior?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Since you share a joint email, every address ever used for an email from that account will display as you type an address. That is the way Apple designed it to work.

Completely different framework than having iCloud back up your contacts since the "recents" are not drawn from your contacts but from your email history.

Get separate email accounts and problem solved.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It is hard to say if it is a bug or normal. Sharing AppleID can lead to some pretty wonky things happening.

I have never heard of this happening for someone on a solo appleID.

4. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

It has nothing to do with email. We already have separate email accounts. There is one joint email for the sole purpose of the one joint Apple ID. The contacts that I am seeing are not used in that joint email. They are clearly being pulled from iMessage.

For example, some of the contacts that come up as I type in my phone come up as a group as if it is from a group imessage she previously sent (ie there are several people contained within that contact, each with separate phone numbers). Not only that, but if I click on the little exclamation point to the right of the contact, the bulk of them are phone numbers only, not email addresses.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If phone numbers are being suggested in your email address box, then you do indeed have some odd issue going on.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like what some are suggesting is that when iCloud/Apple ID is shared for anything beyond apps/media (App Store/iTunes) then there could potentially be things of this nature that pop-up. The best suggestion usually is to at most share an Apple ID for App Store and iTunes perhaps, but not for anything else.

7. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Again, I never said anything about email. This has nothing to do with email. As I stated in the first sentence in my OP, it is happening with iMessage.