Bug with Safari for Win XP and google maps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by walnuts, Dec 28, 2007.

1. walnuts macrumors 6502

Hey- has anyone else experienced this bug? It happens on at least two windows xp machines that I have tried (relatively new with good internet connectivity.)

When using the mouse wheel to zoom in quickly with Google maps, the map appears to simply wobble and not zoom in. After about 5 seconds, the map refreshes and you can tell that it has zoomed in to the correct location. This delay/incorrect display is really frustrating because you literally have to first know to wait and second pause after a few moments of scrolling to let it catch up. Often I would end up scrolled in to a completely incorrect location.

Anyone else have this problem? Google maps is probably the most important website I use, and it not functioning right is a real bummer.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've found the scroll wheel to be useless in Google Maps in Safari. It zooms in no matter which direction you scroll in.

3. walnuts thread starter macrumors 6502

That's wierd- that's one thing I can do; it zooms out ok, at least sometimes.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I get the weird refresh issues in Windows only but the zoom thing is in OS X and Windows.

5. walnuts thread starter macrumors 6502

You know, I hadn't thought to try it, but I get the same problem on my mac on safari; its just that it refreshes faster so it is possible to work with.

Now that I think of it, with all three computers, I am using wireless microsoft mice. Maybe its something with their scrolling.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My mice are Logitech.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if it is really that important, why not use firefox or opera?
    I think they are two separate issues.

refresh issue, probably because safari is a forced ported project with low efficiency porting code. Thats why you can see the whole program is not as responsive as other native windows apps. especially when you have smaller memory

zoom thing, since it happens on both platform, if confirmed by others, should be a bug and reported to apple.

8. walnuts thread starter macrumors 6502

I do; when I know I need to use maps I launch firefox; but it would be nice to use safari all of the time.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

mmm... if indeed its a cross-platform issue. you may have to wait for next patch or release.