Bugged 2.0 firmware EFI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ramzhh, Jan 8, 2011.

1. ramzhh macrumors regular

Greets

I have the early 2010 13' MBP. A while ago, 2.0 EFI firmware was released, and came up on my screen. I then installed it, then it showed up on the next software update that I had to install the 2.0 firmware (again). I did it again, now it's showing up again. This seems like a bugged somethingidontknowwhat.

What am I supposed to do? Here's a screeny:

[​IMG]

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

if you try to install it without having it plugged into a power source it won't actually install. Are you trying to do this on battery power?

3. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

No, always with a power source

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Just try installing it and if it damages the EFI chip on the logic board, take it in to the genius bar for a new logic board. If you have a 2010 MBP, then you should still be within warranty.

5. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't work. I don't get any gray screen after restart or any status bar, my computer just restarts normally and nothing changes. Also, there are no genius bars here in my country. Also, after a quick google search I've found I'm not the only one with this problem. I've tried installing this like 5 times now, NEVER do I get any gray screen, and never does it work, always shows up in Software Update.

WHAT do I do?

6. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

8. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

1. There is no Apple here, just the store selling the computer.
    2. I'm not the only one with this problem, I've been researching, and it's definitely a software issue, not a hardware one, or I would be the only one. Just gotta wait 'till Apple checks these threads out on their discussion forums and fixes the problem...

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I would call Apple and explain the issue. If you are under warranty, great! If not but this is an issue with Apple's updater or your Logic Board, then I'm sure they will take care of you.

Honestly, there is not much more you can do.

-P

10. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Had the issue tonight on my gf's moms mac. Didnt have it plugged in. Next time Im there, ill try it plugged in and post back.

11. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

@Pentad

I can't call Apple, no calling service in my country, just authorized resellers in which I still have warranty :)

@kgeier82

I tried it plugged in, always, but never works :)

12. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

13. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

When I did this with my Mac Pro I had to hold down some keys to engage the update, what those keys were however I have no idea.

14. segers909 macrumors regular

Resetting the PRAM and SMC will probably help.

15. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

smc reset didn't work for some reason...

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Well then take it to the authorized reseller...

17. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

Since I'm not the only one with this problem, so it's not unique to my machine, there's no point in bringing it to the reseller. It does, however show lazyness from Apple to fix this problem.

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

1. We have no idea where here is so we can't suggest where to take it.

2. everybody else would have taken it to an Apple dealer by now, problem solved.

I'm sure Apple would be happy to repair it and it sound like a problem with your machine.

19. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

20. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Regardless of were you purchased your machine from - your 1 year warranty is with Apple. You have 90 days phone support normally but I have never had problems with Apple helping me anytime in the 1st year from purchase. If you can't call Apple in your country - try calling Apple in America, start by giving them your machines serial number explain your situation and ask for help - be polite and I'm sure they'll help you. Good luck.