Bugger! monitor broke?

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I got a Dell 2005FPW monitor for christmas. It played up a little, dead pixels that healed, strange curving black lines on screen. but I never thought it was enough to warrant a replacement.

But today. I was ferrying my monitor to my aunt and uncles place as they're off on holiday. I get in and... well the display is more than knackered. There are stuck vertical red, blue and green lines when it's turned on, and a strange array of white lines eminiating from this one spot. not a crack, theres no dent or anything. just strange lines!

Guess I should be calling up Dell and getting a replacement for this? Right? anyone else had this problem?

I suppose final question is - are Dell nice with replacing machines under warranty?

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
If it were just a few stuck pixels, I'd say you were out of luck.

But the other symptoms definitely point to a bit of serious breakage that Dell shouldn't argue with when it comes to getting a replacement.

Their warranty service is pretty decent. You shouldn't have a problem getting it exchanged.

(btw, I have the same monitor at both work and home... lovely, ain't it!)

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I don't think it's a cable fault, I get the same lines appearing when the display isn't connected to my PowerBook. It's a little messed up. I tried ringing up Dell but they said they're all busy and took down a number to call me back later.

I don't know what it is with me at the moment. I'm on my 3rd DS Lite, 2nd PowerBook battery and soon to be my 2nd Dell monitor. Bad luck year :p

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
mad jew said:
That sucks. A cable fault would have been so easy to fix. :(

Ah well, good luck with Dell Support. :)
Don't say that! That's like "Good luck with your brain transplant operation!"... Anyways I have a good habit of dealing with returns especially when the big companies don't see it my way ;)
oh god I hope this works though. This was a christmas present from my parents when my dad retired. theres no way I could buy a new one before I finish university. :(

L

Lau

raggedjimmi said:
oh god I hope this works though. This was a christmas present from my parents when my dad retired. theres no way I could buy a new one before I finish university. :(
Well, if it's a warranty issue, they'll fix it. If they say it isn't a warranty issue, and was caused by you moving it, then that'll come under home insurance. (Assuming you have cover for your stuff when moving it around, that is.)