Buggy Mac Pro problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KDWolfy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. KDWolfy macrumors newbie

Hi All - First time posting so be gentle with me! :)

I have inherited a Mac Pro Laptop at my work that is a bit older (2010). It is running on OSX Mountain Lion currently.

It has issues with outlook constantly where it will not open and have registry problems. IT recently blew out the registry and reset it - still won't open this morning. It launches and then quits.

Second problem: Whatever window is currently active 'blinks' at me. It does it fast, almost like a hiccup. It also interrupts me when I'm typing inputing a space where that letter was or skipping it entirely.

Finder likes to crash a lot as well. I had to complete a shut down last night by holding the power button down.

I'm on the upgrade list for a new computer as soon as the new Mac Pro comes out but I need a bandaid in the mean time. Any ideas?

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

It's probably a MacBook Pro. Mac Pros are desktop computers.

When anyone inherits a used computer, I advise a clean install of everything. Format the drive and give it a clean install of OS X (and Bootcamp, if you need it). You really have no idea what the previous user did to the system.

3. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

Before doing a clean install of the OS, which is advisable, go to Disk Utilities and run a Permissions Check and Disk Check.

4. KDWolfy thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoops! I did mean Macbook, thanks for that! I can't do a clean install without wiping out the files I need. The blinking is really the aggravating thing. I'll try the disk utility as well...

5. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

OS X does not have a "registry," that is a Windows component.

Disk Permissions will probably make no difference.

If you do a reinstallation on top of the existing installation, it will not remove your files, but you probably will not gain much from that, either. You can try to create a new user account and log in with that user to see if you experience the same behavior.

6. KDWolfy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the next move we are trying. I logged into another user account to test and no blinking occurred. There's "something wrong" with my registered user account. Hopefully no issues occur on the new user account but its anyones guess at this point.

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Can you just use the new user account and delete the problematic one?