Bugs are getting old...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iBreatheApple, Dec 26, 2014.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

As I've previously posted in jest, Apple could sell me a rock. But are bugs not getting old for some of you? Experiences will vary; I understand. But this isn't a beta. And I know that it is quite impossible to squash all bugs before a public release as people use their phones in a multitude of ways so they can't possibly encounter all bugs behind closed doors. But as of the last few OS releases (6, 7, and 8, especially) it's as if we live with more than our fair share of bugs throughout the entire year (some fixed, some new, some that have yet to be fixed). And before you know it, the next release is imminent along side the next generation iPhone and we have washed, rinsed, and are now repeating with an entire new slew of bugs. There will always be bugs... always. I get it. And I, too, have browsed these forums thinking to myself I have never had xyz problem in my entire ownership of an iOS device. But, to me, bugs are a little too prominent nowadays.

I guess I'm just seeking thoughts, opinions, objections, agreements, et cetera. And, for the record, I'm not even referring to my recent Siri problems. ;)

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I think it's fair to say many have read posts here and elsewhere and thought , I've not had that issue myself.

I preferred the days when I saw an iOS update and just applied it.

Now I find myself looking at threads to see an overview of people reporting back issues they believe their experiencing from the update.

The recent events with iOS 8 causing issues has certainly rocked my confidence a little.

3. jrpmsms macrumors member

jrpmsms

Over the many years of smartphones... I've floated back and forth a bit between android and iOS. I agree... I don't recall iOS ever being this buggy. It's like Google apps... release 'em and fix 'em when the complaints start rolling in. I too am quite disappointed.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

iOS 7 was actually more buggy out of the box than iOS 8 was, and there were even some minor bugs (e.g., the timer not switching between min and mins) that weren't resolved all the way until iOS 8. However, you might be right about iOS 8 being more buggy relative to iOS 7 at the x.1.2 stage.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Even in 7.1.2 there were regular spinning data wheels which required a hard reset to 'cure'. iOS8 is (currently) definitely more buggy than 7.1.2

6. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

And in half a year we get to do it all over again. Things need to start 'just working' again. I admit, many of the bugs I'm speaking of aren't huge barriers rendering the device useless (obviously), but it's all the small glitches and such that are really detrimental to the experience over a period of time. Spotlight, for example. It hardly ever works right on my 6. Many times I'll start typing and nothing appears, even things that should yield numerous results. But if I backspace a few letters and retype them, I'll get some results. And when that doesn't work I just back out of search and go back into multiple times until it starts pulling results again. Another annoyance is sending photos via Messages. I tap the camera shortcut by the text field and all I get is a black screen, and then comes the infamous click click > swipe up to close the app > tap messages again > tap the camera icon again and the camera is viewable again. Thank God that when you have typed a long message and close the app for this work around that your text is still in the field.

There are many other small annoyances like that that are, finally, started to bother me. I don't want to do this every year - at all.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

Since iOS 7 i've learned to read the forums and impressions first. My Air is still on iOS 7 and that's only because that's what came with it. I'm waiting to see if 8.2 helps with performance before deciding to move up from iOS 7.

I do agree that it would be better if Apple would release a new mobile OS, announce it then until they do a total redesign, just work on the bugs and polish it up some. The same now goes for OS X.

8. abcdefghijklmno macrumors member

Technically, "min" is correct rather than "mins". But I geet what you mean ;-)

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The bug was annoying because if you select a number greater than 1 but it doesn't change to "mins" it'd revert back to 1 min when you start the timer, causing you to re-do it.

They're now using the correct "min" in iOS 8 so it's resolved. Also, people using "sec" instead of "s" is a pet peeve of mine.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

A lot of people (actually mainly the usual people) speak about bugs.
    Which bugs?
    I'm very satisfied about iOS 8.1.2

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The most app crashes ever, including stock Apple apps.
    WiFi dropouts.
    Spinning data wheel in Safari.
    Tab and app reloading now worse than ever.

12. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I wonder sometimes if I'm just the luckiest guy that buys apple products. It's working great for me as well and I'm just amazed at all the issues people report. It is entertaining though. ;)

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Not a single one of those is definable as iOS bug, as I suspected.

----------

You are not alone, for sure ;)
    99% of the customers are just enjoying their device, while a vocal minority on forums are complaining about issues.
    Corrupted software, hardware incompatibilities, network generated issues, defective units ... There are several explanations.
    Surely not bugs.

Don't get me wrong: a bug free software doesn't exist, but iOS is rock solid nevertheless.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

So what is a spinning wheel in Safari when a webpage has fully loaded classed as, if not a bug? Safari didn't do this in 7.1.2
    What are app crashes beyond the norm classed as, if not a bug? I am having way more app crashes than in any previous version of iOS, and that includes stock apps & those allegedly updated to be iOS8 compatible.
    Not to mention the frequent unresponsive touchscreen. As I can't think that these hiccups are intentional, then they must be bugs.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Since nothing of that is happening on any of my iDevices, it could be related to your set-up.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Do you have a 6+? I seem to see more complaints with that device than the standard i6.
    I have done clean installs.

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

No, I have a standard iPhone 6, but I don't think iOS behavior can be different.
    A difference in performances could be possible, due to the higher resolution, but surely not more bugs.
    And iOS 8.1.2 is running very well also on my "old" iPad air :D