Build a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Skyguy, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyguy macrumors newbie

My first post. I have been seriously considering adding a Mac at home. Now, here's the thing: I'm a hardware junkie, but don't have the cash for a good Mac....yes, I know about the Mini. I'm talking Quad Core Mac, >$2500.....but I'm looking at ALL the available options right now, even the absurd.

Now, I have TONS of high-end hardware that I can use, and as blasphemous as it may be to ask, I really want to know: Can I build my own Mac by using the hardware I have?

I've done some research, but most of it is outdated info (doesn't cover DD2, C2D CPUs, etc. From what I understand, building my own is "sortof" possible, and that I may need a motherboard with a special BIOS?? If so, what do I need, other than Leopard when it's released?

Like I said, I have all the hardware (except a special mobo??) so what Mac-specific parts would I need to build my own?

I'd really appreciate any info you experts might have. Thank you in advance. And sorry if I've offended anyone by uttering the shameful words "build a Mac", but I'm on a quest to find the answer :D

Many thanks.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The license for OSX prohibits you from running it on anything but apple hardware

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A Hackintosh is what you are trying to build.

But the quality of the experience isn't always up to snuff.

And the rules of the board prohibit us from helping you, sorry. ;p

4. Skyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, to be honest I was interested whether it was possible, if nobody's allowed to say how. You know.......when Columbus asked whether the world was round, not how to prove it was flat......I was looking to find an answer to "What IF........??" ;)

hmmmm......can build my own computer, can build my own house, can't build a computer with OS X......hmmmm..........and these forums won't say whether it's even possible. Interesting.

Well, if anyone is willing to further the cause of knowledge and share some information, I'll gladly take a PM if anyone is interested in helping me out. Otherwise, guess I'll have to take my quest elsewhere. No hard feelings, thanks for your time.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Technically it is possible, macs contain all standard hardware.

However, because OSX is only written to support a specific hardware set, you'll probably find you would encounter compatibility and driver issues.

6. Skyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much Swiftaw, appreciate the info.

So the trick is finding hardware that is OS X compatible..........?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Google OSX86 or hackint0sh and you'll find everything you need. :D

9. Skyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And at that point, I'm going to close this thread.

Please do not ask for help in circumventing EULAs on this board... thanks.

Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites or software whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.