Build a Trojan Horse PowerMac G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Nov 23, 2015.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

I was curious, is it possible to hunt down the exact hardware that was in the intel dev kit G5 and simply rebuild one in a stripped dead G5 case? From what I can tell the motherboard in it is just a standard PC board. Of course it would have to follow regular x86 hackintosh stuff, but it would just be a "because why not" kinda project.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The motherboard was a custom board designed and built by Intell for Apple. It was never released to the public.

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Or better yet just get a regular Z170 or X99 motherboard and put that inside the G5 case, like I did.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If one is trying to duplicate a DTK, what would this accomplish?

5. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

due to the way the DTK and its software/OS worked you cant hunt down identical PC hardware (for one the DTK used a TPM with the OS to stop it being installed on regular PCs but that got hacked around) you would also Have to find the software if you wanted to keep it authentic otherwise it would just become another Hackintosh shoved into a G5 case. I did manage to track down the 10.4.1 software used on the DTKs but sadly its a hackintosh distro (atleast i can run it in a VM now) one last thing you cant realy properly run 10.4.1 on anything newer then a Pentium 4 i915 setup... sure you can run it in VMs on newer hardware but getting to natively boot on that hardware... while it may boot from a USB stick (since USB2s protocol has not changed) none of the hardware would even remotely function. one last thing 10.4.1 for intel cant launch any apps coded for intel even if their tiger compatible they just bounce once and die but will run fine in roseta... the only intel apps it can run are the ones it comes with (or compiled by the xcode beta for intel it had) in the end you cant really duplicate a DTK not fully but using a i915 GMA 900 Pentium 4 machine you could get kinda close
    Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 18.11.20.png

6. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

I'd just put a RasPi inside. You don't need to remove anything except one of the space-holders for PCI-cards ...;)

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Get back under your bridge.

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Your soul shall suffer.

9. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

At least our Macs won't.