build mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dmsee, Aug 26, 2008.

1. dmsee macrumors member

I finally saved up around $400-500 to replace my 5 year old HP. My needs are really simple Internet use and few programs maybe a little gaming. With my budget I think its really possible, I know I can buy Dell but I want to build my own. Anyone got any recomendations? Is it possible to intsall Leopard on the machine I build becuase I really like that operating system much better than Windows, let me know whats possible

2. kabunaru Guest

You could make an Hackintosh but I would not recommend it. What do you think about an used Mac Mini or an used portable like 12" PowerBook G4?

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

You can build a computer for $500, but don't expect it to run serious games.

Here are a few ways to do it cheap:

1. Buy a motheboard+cpu combo from Frys (you can find those in the newspaper), which are usually very good deals and can save you $100, but you don't get much choice in motherboards.
    2. Buy a barebone from newegg, which come as cheap as $79, and include a case, power supply, and motherboard.
    3. Get everything separately. I don't recommend this one.

Whatever you decide, I've found frys and newegg usually have the best prices.

Hackintoshes are good learning experiences, why not? On the other hand, if the OP plans to use a hackintosh as his/her main computer, I would suggest not to. They tend to be unstable.

This would be the merged hackintosh thread. :p

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

If your budget is $500 and you want to build it then hackintosh is highly recommended, you can build a pretty good PC from newegg with that much. If you do a hackintosh then make sure you get the right motherboard so things go smoothly. A hack can be extremely easy or extremely hard, it all boils down to which motherboard you choose.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I would have posted this, but I didn't know if the forum rules allowed it.

OP: If you're serious about this, then read the most recent hardware compatibility lists before you buy.