Build Me A Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mickoin, Aug 16, 2008.

1. mickoin macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm pretty newbish to building computers especially something specific like a mac.
    Anyway I made the conversion to macs about a year ago with a nice macbook pro - tis awesome.
    However I need something with more grunt and dont want to fork out full price for a macpro.

So if I said to you I predominantly work with maya, after effects, fcp and other graphics programs and have 2.5 - 3k to spend what would I want?
    2Tb raid would be needed.

Basically build your ultimate mac and post specs and parts here so i can then collect, buy and build.

cheers,
    mickoin

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You want a Hackintosh. There are forums that will help you build one. I don't know where they are. All I know is that this is not one of them.

Good day.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeh a Hackintosh sounds right up your alley.

just get an Intel Core Duo or Quad CPU, ASUS or Gigabyte 775 mobo and an NVidia 8 series or an ATI Radeon XT or HD and the other standard parts and it should work great. use this wiki as a guide.

youll maybe have to patch the ethernet and at the most the audio to get it working. direct questions to the InsanelyMac.com forums.

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Unless you have an experience with programming and are really patient..... you're better of without a hackintosh!

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Firstly - Yes this is definately in the wrong section

Second - This is also in the wrong forum - check out http://www.insanelymac.com for all the answers and advice you'll ever need to build and run a hackintosh.

This is an Apple forum and the rules do prohibit discussions on how to circumvent apples licenses (building and installing hackintosh systems requires the use of OS X in a fashion in direct contravention to the License agreement)

Not trying to be rude here, but these are the facts (besides the forum above will most definately be better suited to advise you)

:)

6. 7031 macrumors 6502

While that may be true, that's the Mac pro. This guy said he wants a desktop, but he said the Mac pro is far too expensive, and this rule of saving $5 or whatever doesn't seem to apply to any mac other than the Mac pro. The Mac pro is the only mac that isn't extremely overpriced IMO.

7. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Rather than Firing you down, perhaps i can offer some helpful advice.

your budget won't really stretch to a new mac pro, screen and 2TB RAID but you can pick up some good 1st Gen MP deals on eBay or go for a top of the range PowerMac G5 on eBay (which are still very capable machines).

You can pick up a dual bay enclosure like the Taurus RAID and fill it with 2 terabyte drives and set them to RAID 1, 0 or JBOD.

HTH

8. belunos macrumors member

Or wait for a good deal on a refurb mac pro. Really, for 3k you could just about build out the system he's looking for. Just skimp on the extra proc, use software raid, and buy the drives and ram elsewhere

9. mickoin thread starter macrumors newbie

ok sweet thanks guys. i'll pop over to insanelymac.com

10. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Save up some more money? Im sure the rig your using right now for all this stuff is working well enough to get productive work done.