Build or Buy External Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MM07, Mar 2, 2008.

1. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I have been pondering both options. Enclosures are not that expensive. I have been searching around at BB, CC, OWC, and newegg.com.

I have been looking at WD My Book External drives. I know for a fact I want to use firewire. This drive will be for Time Machine.

Your thoughts and suggestions?

TIA

2. dimme macrumors 65816

I have built 3 externals and also own 2 OWC drives 1 maxtoe and 2 old WD drives and a WD MY Book drive all firewire.USB2 except for 2 of the home made. The My Bok is the best IMO. I got it at costco for a song.

3. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

I've built a FW400 external drive with an Acomdata enclosure and a 320 GB Western Digital (3200JB - outdated now, but still running fine) and it took me about 15 minutes, and saved me a few dollars as well. Now you can build yourself a 750 GB drive for about the same price that I built this one for.

Go for it and build yourself one. It's kind of fun.

4. MM07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I decided to get the WD 320 GB My Book Home Edition. I went with this one because the size is good for what I need and it has firewire 400.

It was only $110 through circuitcity.com. I got two of them, one for my MacBook and one for my wife's iMac.

Thanks for your input!