Build quality and design of iPhone generations

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I prefer the 4/4s and the 5/5s generation. Somehow felt that the build quality these two generations are fits my taste and they are rather tough too. Also, for the design side, I prefer the 5/5s one as opposed to the 4/4s. How about you guys?

walkaway

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
I am in the minority, but my favorite iPhone was the 3GS. I don't mind plastic, it fit perfectly in the hand, the glossy metal around the screen made it stand out and look gorgeous. The phone was either entirely black or white with a black frame (wish they still did that). And it was just the right size. :( :(

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The thing is, back when the 4/4S design was the current one, people complained all the time about how easy it was to break the glass because so much of it was exposed.

Amazing how people forget all these things.

Charadis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
I prefer the 4/4s and the 5/5s generation. Somehow felt that the build quality these two generations are fits my taste and they are rather tough too. Also, for the design side, I prefer the 5/5s one as opposed to the 4/4s. How about you guys?
While I currently use a 5, I prefer the solid design of the 4/4s gen. I've serviced 4/4s and 5 gens before, and I don't like some of the design choices made with the latter. The battery is easier to replace with the 4/4s, and the design is just solid; I've dropped my 4 multiple times, on concrete (twice), asphalt (once), hardwood floor (once, from neck high being on a shelf), and in the end, it stood up with only a tiny chip to the front glass and some "roughed" ridges on the plastic bezel.

It eventually suffered a problem on calls where the caller couldn't hear me, but I could hear the person. Still sold it on eBay for $200 a few months after getting my 5. I kept that phone for 2.5 years, longest I've ever owned any phone. Sent from my iPhone.

LuisC

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
I am exchanging my 4s for iPhone 6. However although excited to have a new phone having second thoughts on "upgrading". I guess that part of it is the robustness of my current phone and beauty. I do not even have it on a case and still looks beautiful. Bought a iPhone 6 from Verizon because I am getting a $200 rebate for mine. However, as stated before I am having second thoughts now. New phone is not due to ship until 10/24.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
As far as ones that I actually used go I like the 4/4S the best. I've always liked the design of the 1st gen iPhone even though I never got to use one.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The 3G/3GS had the worse build quality. Plasticky, lightweight and shoddy workmanship.

The 4/4s had the best overall design and the Slate 5 is the best looking one of all the generations.