Build quality and design of iPhone generations

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ev0d3vil, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

I prefer the 4/4s and the 5/5s generation. Somehow felt that the build quality these two generations are fits my taste and they are rather tough too. Also, for the design side, I prefer the 5/5s one as opposed to the 4/4s. How about you guys?

2. Stanick macrumors regular

Stanick

4s for me. It's compact yet solid. And beautifully crafted.

3. walkaway macrumors newbie

I am in the minority, but my favorite iPhone was the 3GS. I don't mind plastic, it fit perfectly in the hand, the glossy metal around the screen made it stand out and look gorgeous. The phone was either entirely black or white with a black frame (wish they still did that). And it was just the right size. :( :(

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The thing is, back when the 4/4S design was the current one, people complained all the time about how easy it was to break the glass because so much of it was exposed.

Amazing how people forget all these things.

5. Charadis macrumors 6502a

While I currently use a 5, I prefer the solid design of the 4/4s gen. I've serviced 4/4s and 5 gens before, and I don't like some of the design choices made with the latter. The battery is easier to replace with the 4/4s, and the design is just solid; I've dropped my 4 multiple times, on concrete (twice), asphalt (once), hardwood floor (once, from neck high being on a shelf), and in the end, it stood up with only a tiny chip to the front glass and some "roughed" ridges on the plastic bezel.

It eventually suffered a problem on calls where the caller couldn't hear me, but I could hear the person. Still sold it on eBay for $200 a few months after getting my 5. I kept that phone for 2.5 years, longest I've ever owned any phone. Sent from my iPhone.

6. LuisC macrumors newbie

I am exchanging my 4s for iPhone 6. However although excited to have a new phone having second thoughts on "upgrading". I guess that part of it is the robustness of my current phone and beauty. I do not even have it on a case and still looks beautiful. Bought a iPhone 6 from Verizon because I am getting a $200 rebate for mine. However, as stated before I am having second thoughts now. New phone is not due to ship until 10/24.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I prefer the iPhone 5.

I don't like the look of the 4/4s (I waited an extra year to avoid having to purchase the 4s) and the 5s did not come in black.

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

As far as ones that I actually used go I like the 4/4S the best. I've always liked the design of the 1st gen iPhone even though I never got to use one.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The 3G/3GS had the worse build quality. Plasticky, lightweight and shoddy workmanship.

The 4/4s had the best overall design and the Slate 5 is the best looking one of all the generations.

11. Fozamo macrumors member

My favorite is the 2G: it had a "premium" look and design that no other iPhone had (maybe the 4/4S).