Build your own mac?????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by perm, Jan 29, 2009.

1. perm macrumors newbie

Ok I searched I dont want to sound lika a total retard but is it possible to build your own Mac ex. buy a motherboard,Video card, Ram ect and install OSX. Like you can with a PC??

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. It's not legal to run OS X on it if you do, anyway. You would also have to use one of the graphics cards in an existing Mac line, otherwise it wouldn't work.

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Why/How is it illegal?! Will the police come to your house, that type of illegal. Or apple says, only install on apple hardware. Because if that's the case, then everyone with netbooks and OS X is "breaking the law"

4. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure he means buy Apple parts and build it himself.

Back to the question, you could buy enough spare parts to build your own but it's not cost effective at all. Meaning, it'll cost more to do it that way.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, that's the general idea. The EULA states that OS X must be run on Apple hardware, and they don't make a netbook.

Apple is trying to make their EULA into enforceable law with the ongoing Psystar suit.

We'll see what happens.

6. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Thanks, but I think that's really dumb. "Buy our stuff but we're going to tell you how to use it"

Next they're going to be telling you you can't use your computer on labor day.

7. perm thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok I built a PC before and I assumed (Hint Hint) that u could build a MAC as well from parts brought from the web.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wouldn't that be after Labor Day? :D;)

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Check the "hackintosh" thread in the OS X forum below.

In many countries it is perfectly legal to install OS X on any computer you want. In the US, it is questionable if Apple's EULA is enforceable.

This is not true. There are far more video card options for hackintoshes than there are for Apple's computers.

10. Trip.Tucker Guest

How are they telling you how to use it? You can do whatever you want on your Apple Mac and you get the OS as well which is, as part of the agreement, only to be used on Apple hardware.

What's so hard to understand about that?

11. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I was saying Labor day is a day of rest from work and such. It's not a white piece of clothing, that you can't wear after labor day, haha!

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its possible, infact its incredibly simple if you know a lot about computers but if you dont then its next to impossible. You dont even need the correct Apple graphics cards as Tallest said but then its even harder. Its not illegal in Europe because we believe in freedom of choice and our trade laws are based around such (Microsoft media player legal case, $600M fine etc), but its questionable in the US. Theres an ongoing court case in the US with a company called Psytar who make their own machines and install Apples operating system.
    I'm not going to give you help how to do it, because whilst i'd love to, if I do, i'll probably get some snotty email from a mod telling me im being a naughty boy. Google is a good place to start.

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'm sure she/he doesn't.

It's extremely cost effective. You can build a computer with the performance of the $2,300 Mac Pro for about $1,000. It'll be ugly, noisy and otherwise lacking any elegance at all, but man will it be fast. ;)

14. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Obviously you have problems in the reading department.

It's not building a Mac if it's a hackintosh. It's building a hackintosh.

15. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

My reading skills are perfectly fine, but thanks for your concern.

The great majority of queries such as this one are referring to building an OS X-based computer using off-the-shelf components. Since the OP used "web" as opposed to "Apple", I'm simply playing the statistical odds that she/he is in the majority.

16. perm thread starter macrumors newbie

17. mbleopard macrumors regular

*cough* EFIX *cough* ;)

Though I dont suggest it, i went the hackentosh route but the real thing is sooo much better

18. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

My desktop is a hacintosh.. = to a midlevel mac pro for thousands less... Only issue is the odd kernel panic, no mic on my sound card, and front usb ports do not work.
    :D

Check out www.insanelymac.com

19. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You should be able to fix all those things by using the Kalyway driver packages, or iAtkos driver package, just extract the drivers from the DVD ISO's and away you go.

20. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Nope. Been there done that. My usb ports work, just the front ones dont work all the time. Audio driver only allows for sound output, no input device :(

21. dallenmarket macrumors newbie

Build your own Mac

I did that many years ago. (Used a PC tower case and installed an 840 AV motherboard and lots of extras) Yep I said an 840 AV!! Cost me about twice what an 840 AV would have in the long run, but I had the set up I wanted and had done what Apple said "couldn't be done".:D

22. aprilfools1993 macrumors member

23. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Even if Apple wins the lawsuit against Psystar, it will only be of minor relevance:

1. It will only apply to the US.
    2. It will still note make their EULA enforceable by law in every case and in any country.
    3. If another cloner appears on the US horizon, they will have to file another lawsuit and find something they can sue that new company for. (Apple's main case against Psystar still is copyright infringement.)
    4. This entire "sue anybody who dares to sell OS X with their computers" business is simply not sustainable for Apple on the long run.

I'm still waiting for Apple to sue that German company that is selling the "PearC". In Germany, Apple's EULA isn't even worth the paper it is (not) written on. The customer does not have access to that EULA --BEFORE-- he buys the product, therefor by German such a EULA cannot be applicable.

And furthermore, the guys behind the PearC do not even touch Apple's software - they sell their machines with a closed retail box of OS X and just add software to the box that enables their customers to boot and install a plain vanilla OS X version. Apple cannot even try and claim copyright infringement in this case. All they have is their EULA - which, in all probability, is not even valid by German law.

What does this mean for US customers? Even if Psystar is sued out of business by Apple, just go and order your "Hackintosh" from Germany.

Apple should wake up to some realities of life here and license their OS to anybody who wants to have and (re-)sell it on their hardware of choice. In other words: Apple, go ahead and copy Microsoft's business model and everybody will be happy.