Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I have a case, powersupply and a Asus motherboard and a copy of OSX. I want to build a simple hackintosh file server for backups and storage for my Mac Pro and Laptop. From what I understand my motherboard can have OSX installed. If someone sees otherwise, please let me know. I was looking on Newegg for a processor and came across a few that were pretty much the same in price and specs. I dont think I will need more than a dual core processor. My question is, is 800Mhz FSB and 2MB cache enough for just a simple file server? Also will these items be able to work for a hackintosh? Is there something specific you have to look for in the components for it to be hacked? or is it just the motherboard?

VIDEOCARD

PROCESSOR

RAM

MOTHER BOARD(own this already)

BTGeekboy

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
I don't know about the compatibility of your parts with OS X, but with respect to horsepower, you should have far, far more than enough for simple AFP/SMB access to the disks for a few clients.

hrsetrdr

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Ram=ok
Video card=ok....just for reference, I know that 8800gt and a 9800gt run fine in H~tosh's; just need to install the correct nvinject file.
Motherboard= most likely be ok
Processor= since Intel has renamed alot of their processors, I couldn't say for sure. You can pick up a used C2D E6300 on ebay for around $60.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.