Building a Fusion Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tnsmart, Jul 12, 2014.

1. tnsmart macrumors 6502

I have been getting a bit impatient with the 5400 RPM 1TB drive in my mid 2012 (model 9,1) unibody MBP lately and so am considering replacing the current HDD and optical drive with a fusion drive. My plan so far is to purchase these three items:
    750GB 7200RPM HDD
    256 GB SSD
    Mounting bracket for SSD
    and to sell the current internal drive and optical drive on eBay (and maybe buy an external superdrive).

I would follow one of the many tutorials online to create the fusion drive so that it is managed by OS X.

I want to make sure that all of these items will work together and that the SSD I'm purchasing is a good one.

Also, do you think that the speed increase I see will be significant (so that I don't regret the ~$100 it'll cost (after selling the current internal parts) and the effort)?
    Is there any significant decrease in battery life to worry about when running both a HDD and SSD?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

They will, and it is.

It will be quite significant.
    A minor one. Depends on how much you used the DVD drive, but not much I assume, since you are going to remove it.

You could also consider going for a large SSD. It will give you even more speed, and retain your DVD drive.

3. tnsmart thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply!

I almost never use the optical drive, so it wouldn't be missed much. I'm trying to minimize my expenditures and the higher capacity SSDs get pretty pricey.