Building a home network

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petrucci666, Oct 4, 2010.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Maybe not the best subforum to post in but I couldn't see where else I could post it.

My brother and I both have MBP's and we'd like to share a hard drive connected to out WiFi router. We'd also like to use the new 'AirPlay' technology that'll be coming out soon.

Since I've never assembled a home network before, I'd like to know what are all of the components that I'd need?

An external hard drive and WiFi router running to an Airport Express Base and then using everything over the wireless network?

How would I connect a printer to this too?

Sorry for the possibly confusing questions, I just don't to go out and buy anything I don't need.

Thanks for any help!

p.s. I did try searching the forums with Mroogle but all the posts are from 2004-2005

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can use an Airport Extreme as your main WiFi base station and router. You can also use the USB port on the back of it to share a hard drive and printer, if you use a USB hub. The Airport Express can connect to the Extreme's network and share a USB printer with it's USB port. Its slightly limited with what Airplay things that can be used with it. Because it can only accept audio streams, you'll only be able to stream audio to it. If you want to stream videos and pictures with Airplay you'll have to get an Apple TV 2.

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

The printer could be "hardwired", i.e., connected to the Airport Express base or "connected" wirelessly. I have a time capsule connected to my internet router and my printer and MBP are linked with it wirelessly. Another Mac in the house would be no problem. And external HD would have to be connected to the TC or one of the MBP with sharing between computers allowed on both computers being used. At least that's what I think needs to be done. But I am not a network guy so someone with more expertise may have a better and/or more correct solution.

4. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

You can do all the stuff with an Airport Express base except sharing an external HD.
    For the printer, you just plug it into the AirPort Express USB port.

Edit: As Intell wrote, Video streaming via Airplay is possible only with the new Apple TV. But music streaming is not "coming soon" it's already there for quite a while under the name "AirTunes".

What is the reason you want to share an external HD? Depending on the answer, Airport Express may or may not be enough.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

Airport Extreme Base Station

I'm doing exactly what you want to do. I've got it all set up around an AEBS and it works flawlessly.

6. pricej636 macrumors 6502

In my opinion, the Airport Extreme is a much better and more capable router. Ive had far less trouble setting things up like above with the extreme than I did with the express I used to have.

7. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

^^ That would be an overkill for 2 users, plus the Extreme does not support Airtunes.

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

the express does not support video? getting myself an TV

9. JTR7 macrumors member

It's not overkill if he wants to share a hard drive. His goals require an Extreme. He'll also need a AirPort Express if he wants AirTunes, or an Apple TV for AirPlay.

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

lets just note that the TV costs the same as an express but the TV can play both video and sound, but of course has no networking capabilities as of now (jailbreak!)

11. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

@JTR7: Maybe, maybe not; as I stated before, it depends what he wants to do with the external HD. If it's to serve as a common Time Machine automatic backup media, then yes, the Extreme will be necessary.
    If it's only to share data then maybe sharing from one of the MBP's can do the trick.
    Sure thing is that Video Airplay will require an Apple TV 2G.

@mulo: I'm very doubtful that the most skilled coder could ever turn the Apple TV into a Wi-Fi base station. :D

12. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

they did that to the iPhone? and they ported the TV UI to iphone/ipod. I'm seeing a link here...

13. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Oh well, you're right, actually :D. And the :apple:TV has an ethernet port. Interesting. Anand at anandtech suggests that Apple has designed the :apple:TV to be easily JB'ed (hence the presence of a micro-USB port.

14. moel macrumors 6502

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Where else do you think Apple gets all of it "innovation"?

16. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I love my Airport Extreme, but I definitely miss the almost infinite configurability of something like DD-WRT.

17. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

even has USB for external drive/printer
    ;)
    I'm seeing a google tv ish deal with a software update soon enough. possibly new hardware with a new, and more capable remote. - unless they allow ios remotes!! :D

that would be wicked actually, using an ipod/iphone to play games on an tv, with the accelerometer/gyroscope and everything. maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel!