Building a mac-based home server

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by diamondblack, Mar 1, 2008.

1. diamondblack macrumors newbie

Here's what I've at home:
    - an iMac
    - a MacBook
    - an Airport Extreme
    - an Intel SS4000-E entry storage system (2TB running RAID 5, having 2 USB2.0 ports and 2 GigaLAN ports), I would just call it NAS below.

I am having the NAS plugged into the Airport Extreme via GigaLAN. It's currently serving me very well. Got the iTunes library moved to the NAS and streaming wirelessly, though need to mount it every time.

I'm thinking of expanding the use of the NAS to become sort of a private server, housing all the music, self-shot videos and pix for my family and friends and they can download (or even upload) at their own will, and most satisfactorily and importantly, multimedia streaming. Not sure if I have all the ingredients already or if I need to add something more (both hardware and software). I can't quite figure out the connection either. Please help......

2. jjholly macrumors member

I can help you some of the way.
    You would like the server assessable over the internet?
    You will need a machine, say the iMac, always on with some sort of server software on it. You probably wont be able to get anything for free though, maybe you could try OS X server but that means a reinstall.

3. diamondblack thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of adding a Mac Mini as server but no sure if I need OS X Server. and also I'm a bit concern about the transfer speed between the Mac Mini and the NAS. I can only use USB to connect between the Mac Mini server and NAS. Will connecting the NAS by all of the 2 USB ports available help?

4. jjholly macrumors member

No, i dont think so.
    If its a NAS it should have an ethernet port.
    You can do it without OS X server. You need the NAS mounted on the mini. Turn File Sharing on on the mini and share the NAS.
    Then set up port forwarding on your router, what make and model is it?

5. diamondblack thread starter macrumors newbie

u mean connecting the NAS to mini via ethernet and then mount the NAS or connecting both the mini and NAS to the airport extreme and then mount the NAS? i'm a bit confused because mini has only 1 ethernet port.

6. jjholly macrumors member

Yes sorry, connect the NAS and the mini to the network(airport extreme).

7. diamondblack thread starter macrumors newbie

i sort of know what u mean. connect both the mini and nas to the airport. then mount the nas to the mini and turn on say iphoto and itune sharing, windows sharing and remote control so that the mini can act like a central server. do i get it wrong.

8. jjholly macrumors member

Thats it, but dont forget port forwarding on the router.

9. diamondblack thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. that would be my Easter holiday project

10. diamondblack thread starter macrumors newbie

can't really figure out how to do port forwarding in leopard...... would u help......?

11. TJones macrumors regular

That's something that's done on the router. In the Airport Utility go to Advanced -> Port Mapping.

12. jjholly macrumors member

Yep, if you are going to use ftp you need port 21 linked to your mini and you need to turn ftp sharing on in the sharing system pref.

13. diamondblack thread starter macrumors newbie

When I tried to forward port 548, the airport gave me this" "A public TCP port number conflicts with a file sharing port on the base station. Disable file sharing or choose a different port number". What should I do?:confused:

14. TJones macrumors regular

If you're not sharing files on your AEBS then go ahead and disable it I guess.

Edit: Wait that won't work.

15. diamondblack thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if it is to do with my ISP......

16. jjholly macrumors member

Have you got "share disks over WAN port" checked?

17. diamondblack thread starter macrumors newbie

yes but still have the port conflict......

18. jjholly macrumors member