Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michel52

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
hello all
i have searching on the internet about building a mac server, but i did not find enough to make sure about what i want to build so i came to here with this question:
these are the stuff i want to built for a mac server :

Chenbro Tow Server Case
Aerocool AE-650W power Adapter
Upgrade Kit : motherbord GA-H110M-S2H
CPU i3- 6100
Memory : 8GB
HDD: HGST Deskstar NAS, 4TB HDD 4x

I have a usb booting drive with OS X El Capitan ...
What do you think, is it possible to built with this stuff a mac server?
i know i have to download also MacOs Server to complete it ...
Micho_O

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
To run the macOS within Apple's license, you must run it on Apple hardware. Thus, to run "a Mac server" you would have to buy a Mac, not build your own. It is not possible to download macOS except directly on to a Mac.

MacFrag

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
The Netherlands
To run the macOS within Apple's license, you must run it on Apple hardware. Thus, to run "a Mac server" you would have to buy a Mac, not build your own. It is not possible to download macOS except directly on to a Mac.
Not true.

If he builds a hackintosh from legit software sources Apple wont care.

But he needs to have a real mac first to download macOS via the App Store and have a Apple id and then create a special bootable install USB stick so he can install it on x86 (non) Apple hardware.

Just see: https://www.tonymacx86.com

Its legit and pirating macOS sucks. Do not download and install macOS via torrent/newsgroups etc.

//edit. Anonymous Freak is correct about the License part. If you want support from Apple, then run it on real Apple hardware.

Reactions: michel52

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
//edit. Anonymous Freak is correct about the License part. If you want support from Apple, then run it on real Apple hardware.

No.

MacOS:
"you are granted a limited, non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at any one time."

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macOS1012.pdf

MacOS Server:
"2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
(...) you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:
(i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer"

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macOSServer52.pdf

It is illegal to install Mac OS on a non-Apple branded computer, and there is virtually nobody contesting that fact.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005

Support has nothing to do with it; it's specifically stated in the EULA for El Capitan that it is for Apple-branded machines only (emphasis mine):

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. A. Preinstalled and Single-Copy Apple Software License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you obtained the Apple Software from the Mac App Store or under a volume license, maintenance or other written agreement from Apple, you are granted a limited, nonexclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at any one time.

Sure, you can do it, but it's in violation of the EULA. I have no idea if it would hold up in court; since you have to accept it to install the product, my guess is it would.

EDIT: Looks like hwojtek and I posted the same thing at the same time. :)

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
So yes, you can do it. It's against the EULA, yes, but that's between you and Apple.

But you'll likely find parts of Server.app don't really work properly on non-Apple hardware. (Some of it doesn't even work properly on Apple hardware! Ha.)

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
That's right, it takes a lot of tinkering wth config files that are not available in the GUI. So effectively (if you are not lazy like I am) you're better off with command line and - if need be - macports versions of the services that are not readily available in basic MacOS install (not a lot of them anyway, everything is built into vanilla OS).

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Given all of the above, why build a Hackintosh just to run OS X Server? Depending on your needs, FreeNAS or similar may work better.

Reactions: michel52

michel52

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
okey guy's thanks for all the good information about mac server .... :)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
okey guy's thanks for all the good information about mac server .... :)

Most individuals running a Hackintosh are not running it as a server, but more so as a hobbyists toy. I have both Macs and Hackintosh's, and I can tell you that from a reliability standpoint even the most reliable Hackintosh will be unacceptable for a server. Losing functionality and having to run utilities like MultiBeast every combo update is unacceptable for a server environment, but as a fun hobbyist toy it is perfectly fine.

Reactions: Les Kern

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
What nobody has asked yet is WHY build a Mac server from this hardware when CentOS would likely do almost anything better than macOS Server on the same hardware. Don't get me wrong, I love Mac OS as a desktop OS, but macOS Server is a real pain to work with and maintain.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
What nobody has asked yet is WHY build a Mac server from this hardware when CentOS would likely do almost anything better than macOS Server on the same hardware. Don't get me wrong, I love Mac OS as a desktop OS, but macOS Server is a real pain to work with and maintain.

Yes, I did on Thursday, but it totally depends on needs:
Given all of the above, why build a Hackintosh just to run OS X Server? Depending on your needs, FreeNAS or similar may work better.

You might consider a different username when trying to help others. Many (all?) of us are not idiots. :) LOL

faded_glory

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2016
FWIW
I bought a second hand Mac mini server edition (2 x 500GB hard drives and no dvd drive) and stuck the macOS Server app on it. I am in no way a server type person by experience but it took me a few minutes to have a file server set up for everyone else in the household. Haven't gone any further into it yet, but I have the official book to work through once I've finished 'Support Essentials'.
One issue I did find was that I just could not get a Windows 10 Home Edition laptop to connect to the file server. After a couple of hours of attempted solutions and hair pulling I discovered that there's a setting in Win 10 HE that cannot be changed (for that you need the Pro version) without which no connection would be possible.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
FWIW
I bought a second hand Mac mini server edition (2 x 500GB hard drives and no dvd drive) and stuck the macOS Server app on it. I am in no way a server type person by experience but it took me a few minutes to have a file server set up for everyone else in the household. Haven't gone any further into it yet, but I have the official book to work through once I've finished 'Support Essentials'.
One issue I did find was that I just could not get a Windows 10 Home Edition laptop to connect to the file server. After a couple of hours of attempted solutions and hair pulling I discovered that there's a setting in Win 10 HE that cannot be changed (for that you need the Pro version) without which no connection would be possible.

Follow the web guy that walks you through OS X Sever Todd Olthoff. You won't be disappointed!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Actually, Windows requires using the Policy Editor to change this setting in Pro versions of Windows, but it is perfectly attainable using the Registry Editor. I actually have the changes saved off, so if you would like, I can PM you the file to run that will enable the necessary change.

faded_glory

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2016
Actually, Windows requires using the Policy Editor to change this setting in Pro versions of Windows, but it is perfectly attainable using the Registry Editor. I actually have the changes saved off, so if you would like, I can PM you the file to run that will enable the necessary change.

That's kind of you thanks, but I got round it by buying the person concerned a 2nd hand MacBook - problem solved and one very happy future son-in-law.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
So yes, you can do it. It's against the EULA, yes, but that's between you and Apple.

That's not so clear to the average user. About the same as saying......You can download music or movies from a random bit torrent:
  • Can you? Is it technically possible? YES.
  • Is it legal? NO.

Same goes for MacOS. Folks can argue about the risk of Apple coming after you (or not), but it needs to be clear to all that every hackintosh violates the EULA.

Even if I did not care about violoating the EULA, I would not want any hackintosh server any place I worked or supported, as servers need to be rock solid. Hackinstosh and rock solid are typically not used in the same sentence.

Reactions: DJLC

Longer Lane

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
If you are looking for a server on a hackintosh, why go through all the trouble when it's probably easier to use your hardware and build a Linux server?

Reactions: hwojtek

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
But why bother, most of the tools are actually in the vanilla installation of regular MacOS, just throw some UI on it if you need/fancy and off you go, even Webmin will do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.