Building a NAS enclosure.....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, May 3, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i would like to build a network attached storage "box". My question would be, is this possible. I really don't want to spend 400 bucks on a drobo, so i was interested in if i could get a network interface card, some how hook it up to 4 or so hard drives, attach a power supply, and then put it in a case. What i'm looking for are people who know where i can get these parts, and if it has been done before. I want to get NAS storage, but don't want to buy external hard drives for i have tons of drives anyways.

Any input would be nice.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

There are bare NAS enclosures out there, just bring yer own drive(s). No need to build one from scratch. Here's just one example.

3. mufflon macrumors 6502

rolling your own will most certainly not be easier - you'll need to get drive controllers, some form of (I presume) system on chip solution which will need to be networkable - most definetly not cheap (cheaper == more time, harder if you don't know where to begin)

4. ghostee macrumors 6502

Sure, it's been done before and isn't hard to do. You'll need more than just a NIC and power supply though. Basically, you'll need a full computer (motherboard + cpu + ram + power supply + boot device) where you can plug in your hard drives, and on which to run an operating system of some sort. Google FreeNAS and unRAID for some more reading on the subject.

Many of the cheaper standalone NAS enclosures have big flaws (bad transfer rates, limited expandability, etc), so if you did decide to go that route, make sure to research before you buy.

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Could not agree with this person more. Everything outlined here is right on. I have done quite a bit of research into building a NAS as I am in the process of doing it now. The key to building one is finding deals on parts and deciding how much money you want to put into one. You can, by waiting for deals, build a pretty decent and cheap NAS.