Building a New System. Compatability questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by favreskes, May 7, 2010.

1. favreskes macrumors newbie

So i'm wanting to build a desktop hacintosh. But i also want the get pretty much the top of the line hardware. I'll also be installing windows 7 for games.

I'm wondering if os x will run on core i7s, and also what specific hardware is compatable with os x? CPUs, Video Cards, Ram ETC.

I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro but i am planning to sell it. I need a significant upgrade for everything i plan to be doing with computing in the next year.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

InsanelyMac is a lot better for Hackintosh discussions, they know much more than we do

3. favreskes thread starter macrumors newbie

4. favreskes thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

People don't always respond immediately...

Check this out! Gives you an idea what to use

6. localghost macrumors regular

not an expert, but ...

... you might find this link useful. the system mentioned ist not up to date, but i think the link/site itself is a good starting point.

just started reading about system configs myself (but i am not going to built anything rigth now), stumbled about the setup below a couple of times (not top of the line, but very nice performance for about € 1000,-):

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 FW9****

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (2.6 GHz Stock) Overclocked to 3.72 Ghz **

COOLER: ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO Rev 2**
    MEM: Corsair DDR3 Memory 2GB x 3 (6GB) 1488 MHz 

GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD4870 1Gb Replaced noisy stock cooler, SCYTHE SETSUGEN** 

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700Watt**

CASE: LANCOOL PC Dragon Lord K58

OPTICAL: SATA Samsung SH-S223B

from the starter of this thread.

more info also at anandtechs hackintosh 101

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I think the reason is that your post is easily answered by the wealth of information there.

As someone there said:

You will get what you need by reading. No one is going to hold your hand through the process.

8. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I would hope that OSX will run on i7, since Apple themselves sell an i7 iMac and MacBook Pro. As far as specific hardware, Hellhammer is right that InsanelyMac has a database that can help with that. I confirmed my Dell Inspiron 1525 was on the compatible list before buying one for my wife. I put OSX on as a second OS just for laughs referring to their forums for guidance, and it was a successful hackintosh build.