Building a PC - how do I know if everything is compatible?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by valdore, Dec 17, 2007.

1. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

First off, I asked this in an existing thread and no one replied to my question.

Just for fun, I want to build a PC, and I plan on ordering the parts from Newegg. How do I ensure that all the hardware I am ordering is compatible with everything? We all have heard tales of dread about hardware compatibility, and with the difficulty in finding information about this, it seems like a crapshoot.

I was planning on an Intel Kentsfield 2.4Ghz Quad Core processor
    Vista Ultimate (putting Linux Ubuntu on it also)
    NVidia GeForce 7050 Graphics Card

What else is there I need to worry about? And is there some good site somewhere with a huge database of compatible/incompatible pieces of hardware?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Google your particular parts - see if it brings up any issues.

In spite of everything - "usually" things are compatible - it's not typically hardware issues - but driver issues. (and when it's hardware - its' because you want to put an 8800GTX into your P3 motherboard - you can mix and match - but be aware of vintage before you do)

List exactly what you want - I can ask my roomie (hardcore PC gamer) and he will tell me.

Other things to consider - Bus speed of your mother board and CPU / GPU. Power supply (hi power CPUs and GPUs require some serious amperage these days) Interface for your hard drive. (though SATA is almost 100% everywhere now) Interface for your optical drives (EIDE or what not - been out of it too long) Sound card - ethernet (integrated into motherboard, or need external?) Form and fit when it comes to really hi-power GPUs (though yours does not seem to be one of those) Ram Clock Speed and bandwidth.

Oh, yeah, and cooling.

One more edit - apart from forums - check the manufacturer page for compatibility issues and known problems for your hardware. Cross check between your motherboard / GPU, ect... Typically, when there is a large known problem, it'll be down there in the fine print. (somewhere)

4. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

I guess what I mean is that all the hardwares get along with each other. Other than that I don't know since I've never done this before - have always just configured my Puters online or bought in the store.

Thanks in advance - the components I've picked out go as follows:

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

BIOSTAR GF7050V-M7 LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7050 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05 - OEM

Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    Item #: N82E16822136178

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE SB0570LPVP 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Low-Profile Sound Card - OEM

CORSAIR 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G - Retail

EDIT - thanks for the clarification in your edits. I'll be looking back at this thread for future reference.

5. Cecily macrumors newbie

Cecily

From my own personal experience the compatability issues come from the processor and motherboard. Just as long as you match the correct make of the processor with a GOOD motherboard you'll be just fine. Since everything relies on the motherboard that's your most important move. I usually look up the ratings for motherboards on www.motherboards.org Hope that helps.

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

for a few bucks more, i'd get a samsung spinpoint 500gb, which has 16mb cache and is slightly faster than the WD AAJS.