Building a tablet

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jcmoney1010, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jcmoney1010 macrumors newbie

I'm doing some research on tablets for class, and the costs to build. I'm well aware that there are tear downs that discuss the price of how much the Ipad cost to make, but my question is different. I want to know all of the components that would go into a very stripped down tablet. I know a decent amount about the stuff that is inside my Ipad, but I want to provide a list of EVERYTHING I would need and I'm at a lost for some of the more specific stuff. basically what I'm asking is if you guys can give me a list of everything needed so I can price the parts and list them in the paper?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could google for the actual parts cost of an iPad. A lot of the stuff that goes into a tablet isn't for retail sale, so it's kinda hard to accurately price it.

3. jcmoney1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess thats why its making it so hard to find all the specifics. I've been googling for hours trying to find everything, figured I'd come here and ask some of the people who have probably built their own computers before.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's a little different with building a computer, as those parts are available to just buy off the shelf, but the only real use for many parts that go into tablets is to use them in tablets, which aren't particularly practical to build yourself.

You can find out prices for bulk flash storage, displays, and the more generic components though.

5. cperry2 macrumors regular