iPad Building a website on the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mrg02d, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Hey guys,
    I have to build a website to document a project for class. I did this before with a regular windows computer, but wondered how easy it may be on an iPad? I am wondering if there is a well known app that will allow me to build the site, upload pictures and whatnot, then allow,me to publish it on my schools servers. I suck at web design (electrical engineering here) and really hated doing this on my laptop. iOS seems to be all about this sort of thing.

For reference, I used NVU before on my laptop.

paid or free, as long as it works well.

Thanks!
    Matt

2. kjid macrumors regular

Diet coda is an ipad source editor based on coda 2 for the mac. It will allow quick changes to your website on the go, but for creating a new website i would go with the desktop.

3. ninermac macrumors member

I built the site linked in my sig predominantly from an iPad... It's using wordpress with a nice theme... Customizations were handled using Textastic for the iPad. I used a couple of different FTP apps as well as SSH Term Pro for the iPad to get stuff on the server and also maintain the server.

Things can be a little more cumbersome on the iPad though. The toughest part is that all data is pretty much sandboxed with the app. So if you wanted to download something from the web, you'd have to select to open it with the app that will send it to the server (iFTP perhaps). So, it's better to get familiar with *nix commands and do as much as you can through a terminal session.. which the iPad is great for especially with a logitech ultra slim keyboard.