Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

regr

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2014
Still hard to argue that assembling the base, LCD assembly, and arm is going to be more cost effective than the aluminum slab that houses the entire machine now. Cheaper than before or not, they've simplified the design so much, the the cost of machinery to build it has got to be less and the quality issues with fewer housings to worry about. I don't disagree that it would be a cool thing to own, but from a profit standpoint, it doesn't make any sense for Apple to return to that design.

Hello guys, I just inherited a 17" iMac G4, I want to buy the adapter board to allow me to plug in a mac mini. Did you guys ever get this figured out?

Let me know.

regreimer@yahoo.com

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Yeah, I am very interested in this as well. How cool would that be :D You could sell them to MRF folks at $50.00 and then get a few extras made and sell them on ebay for a higher price and make your profit there.

Neat idea. Done right, I think there is money (and certainly bragging rights) to be made in that idea.

Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Yeah, I am very interested in this as well. How cool would that be :D You could sell them to MRF folks at $50.00 and then get a few extras made and sell them on ebay for a higher price and make your profit there.

Neat idea. Done right, I think there is money (and certainly bragging rights) to be made in that idea.

I wasn't around here in 2013 when this thread was first raised. However I have a few G4 iMac's of various specs, and it's no exaggeration to say that Jony Ive & team really excelled themselves with the superb design, which imho has since never been equalled.
I too would be very interested in a conversion kit for this model as described, although I fear that the OP 'SimonUK5' has totally abandoned this idea, in fact I note that he's not posted on this particular forum since May 2015.
It would be great if this idea or similar for a G4 iMac could be resurrected using currently available components.
It wouldn't necessarily be a money-spinner, but would ultimately give a number of iMac owners great satisfaction. Is there anybody else up to this task? Unfortunately it's far beyond my capabilities.

Last edited:

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
I am also chiming in on this old thread. If someone were to make one of these for a 20" iMac G4 model (because I know the pin arrangement is different) I would love to buy one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.