Building an imac (or better)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nomis78, May 19, 2010.

1. nomis78 macrumors newbie

ok so, i bought an imac, 10 days ago, and today i took it back, the screen was killing me, i have horrible eye strain and the brightness on the glossy screens is stupid

to get the colour definition ineed to work with i had to have it up to fully brightness, suffering from albinism i have a hyper sensitive retina and simply cannot cope with the extended exposure not to mention a lack of sharpening in the os menues causing me to squint (which combined with the small font size is just horrible)

however, despite this, i love the os, the first tiem i have ever had one, and im hooked

unfortunately i cant get a system anything like equivelant from mac that doesnt have the glossy screen, so im left with no choice but to build one,

so where do i start?

what do i need to know?
    is there certain things that will and wont work?
    and how much am i looking at?
    (and also anyway of reducing the size of the tower i will need)

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

How about a mini? Otherwise, insanelymac.com can help you.

3. Reed Rothchild macrumors 6502

You said it yourself - you've no choice but to build one, so build one :).

osx86project is a good place to start.

Personally, I've not used one of the newer iMacs with the glossy screen though I can see why it would be annoying. I've an intel 24" imac with the matte screen and it's great. I also built a "hackintosh" quad core with loads of memory and storage, and attach a Dell 3008WFP 30" matte monitor. Best "Mac" I've ever owned. It's probably a scratched record around here, but until Apple offer a matte screen on future iMacs I'm not interested. I do video and photography work and a non-intrusive viewing experience is important. Sadly, I think they go for style over substance these days and it's unlikely to happen...:confused:. Still, for the price of the OS and some generic hardware it's a great way to get a new Mac Pro ;).