Building Graphs in Numbers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cowman007, Nov 12, 2008.

1. cowman007 macrumors regular

Hi everyone

I am having some trouble building a particular line graph in numbers and I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. I have completed a bio lab with an observation chart. I want to build a line graph which shows the relationship between the temperature and the amount of gas produced in a chemical reaction. On the x axis I would place my temp and on the y I would place the volume of gas. The problem with my line graph is that the values of temp are not constant. For example the temps I have used at 2.5, 15, 24.5, 37.5, and 75. Numbers keeps formatting my graph thinking that the values are increasing by a constant amount but they are not. Can anyone please help me out! I need to make numbers format so that it realizes that my chosen x values are not increasing by a constant amount.

THANKS SO MUCH

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You cannot graph a sequence of single values. You need at least two numbers for each data point. At each data point, one number is the value of your independent variable. One or more of the others are your dependent variables.

3. cowman007 thread starter macrumors regular

This is exactly my problem. i dont know how to enter in single data points and allow the graph to make a connection between the points. Can anyone help me out?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are totally not getting it. You can't worry about connecting points until you have meaningful points to connect. The simplest data point is an ordered pair. Standard practice is to have a column of x's and a column of y's. A single column (?) of data such as you presented in your OP is meaningless unless your single column holds the measurements made against an evenly-spaced independent variable.

It would appear, however, that Numbers does not allow implicit independent variables. If this is your intent, then sacrifice the five seconds required to type in your column of x values. You may then chart them 'til your heart's content. You may even connect your points with a line if you select a line graph.