Building iOS Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by alaahershy, Aug 21, 2013.

1. alaahershy macrumors member

Hi Everyone, i have a MacBook Pro 13'' mid 2012 , and i want to make an ios app on it and maybe an ios game later. will Xcode run smoothly on it or I need to upgrade rams maybe to 8GB to be faster or the basic one is sufficient.
    Thanks In Advance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's more than enough for getting started. No point upgrading as you may find you don't enjoy the process or are unable to learn the required skills.

3. thedon1 macrumors 6502

I have a 2010 iMac, the entry level model and xcode still works perfectly, very smooth.

Having my computer run like new (without ever doing a re install) even after 3 years is very strange as i've been using Windows all my life! Very different experience.

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

My iMac is at 6 years old and doing okay at development still. I swapped out the original 320 GB HDD for a 1 TB HDD and the original 2 x 1 GB RAM for 2 x 2 GB RAM, but other than that I haven't done anything to it to keep it running. I've never had to do an uninstall.

I also just got a new 2012 13" cMBP with 8 GB of RAM from my new job (not Apple - I never heard back from them after my interview). I've found the only thing it lacks is screen realestate - I hook it up to 27" Thunderbolt Display (also from work) and that solves that.

5. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

I have the model from the year before xCode and Simulator run fine.
    You will at times really want extra screen space.

6. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

4GB is adequate, 8 GB is better. Try it with 4, and see how it does.

What processor does that machine have? Probably an i5? I find that the i5 and i7 is plenty fast enough for Mountain Lion, but Core 2 Duo is too slow.