Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fritzables

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Brisbane AUSTRALIA
Hi All,

I am going to give, making my own Controls and see how successful things turn out.

The one I am creating now is pretty simple, it's a UIView that has a Label, Text Field & Button.

I have done this by making a XIB file with the associated Header and Implementation files.

At this point, I have subclassed it as a UIView and the following illustrates how I have done this:

NameView.h
Code:
#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>

@interface NameView : UIView
@property (strong, nonatomic) IBOutlet UIView *view;
@end

NameView.m
Code:
#import "NameView.h"

@implementation NameView
@synthesize view = _view;

- (id)initWithFrame:(CGRect)frame {
    self = [super initWithFrame:frame];
    if (self) {
        // Initialization code
    }
    return self;
}
- (id)initWithCoder:(NSCoder *)aDecoder {
    self = [super initWithCoder:aDecoder];
    if(self)
    {
        [self setup];
    }

return self;
}
- (void)setup {
    [[NSBundle mainBundle] loadNibNamed:@"NameView" owner:self options:nil];
    [self addSubview:self.view];
}
@end

In the applications code, I am calling the control with:
Code:
NameView *nameView = [[NameView alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectFrame(20.0, 75.0, 633.0, 124.0)];
[self.view addSubview:nameView];

When running the application, I do not see errors nor do I see the expected NameView control appear.

I am now wondering if I have subclassed incorrectly. Should I be using UIControl instead of UIView in the code for the control, or have I make a mistake elsewhere??

Pete

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
Hi All,

I am going to give, making my own Controls and see how successful things turn out.

The one I am creating now is pretty simple, it's a UIView that has a Label, Text Field & Button.

I have done this by making a XIB file with the associated Header and Implementation files.

At this point, I have subclassed it as a UIView and the following illustrates how I have done this:

NameView.h
Code:
#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>

@interface NameView : UIView
@property (strong, nonatomic) IBOutlet UIView *view;
@end

NameView.m
Code:
#import "NameView.h"

@implementation NameView
@synthesize view = _view;

- (id)initWithFrame:(CGRect)frame {
    self = [super initWithFrame:frame];
    if (self) {
        // Initialization code
    }
    return self;
}
- (id)initWithCoder:(NSCoder *)aDecoder {
    self = [super initWithCoder:aDecoder];
    if(self)
    {
        [self setup];
    }

return self;
}
- (void)setup {
    [[NSBundle mainBundle] loadNibNamed:@"NameView" owner:self options:nil];
    [self addSubview:self.view];
}
@end

In the applications code, I am calling the control with:
Code:
NameView *nameView = [[NameView alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectFrame(20.0, 75.0, 633.0, 124.0)];
[self.view addSubview:nameView];

When running the application, I do not see errors nor do I see the expected NameView control appear.

I am now wondering if I have subclassed incorrectly. Should I be using UIControl instead of UIView in the code for the control, or have I make a mistake elsewhere??

Pete

Your initWithCoder method will only be called if you invoke your custom control from a nib file. IF you create one of your controls through code, initWithFrame will be called instead.

I generally write an initSetup method, and call it from both initWithCoder and the object's designated initializer.

In your case, you already have a setup method. Simply add a call to your setup method to your initWithFrame method, since you already call it from initWithCoder.

Fritzables

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Brisbane AUSTRALIA
G'Day dejo,

No, it dosen't (ggod pickup).

But, if I was to place a UIView (via IB) onto the applications main view and then have the Class for the UIView reference the NameView then it works fine.

So, when I have it is currently, it's not calling setup - is this just a matter of:

Code:
[self.view addSubview:nameView.setup];

Pete

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.