Building School Website... Help is appreciated!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by stevey500, Feb 6, 2008.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

I am building my highschool's new website within an internship activity...

Our site as it is has a calendar(by month) based system that is only editable through the server that tells the students and other faculty what is happening within that month.

On the new website i'm building, I thought maybe a flash based calendar system with a password login would be nice for the faculty to add/remove/move entries that they want the school to know about on their own from any computer.

Does anyone know if a flash application such as this has already been developed that I can possibly obtain? I don't want to spend too much time on it building it myself as I am not too experienced in building flash applications yet and I don't have a whole lot of time to complete the website.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

-steve

2. yagran macrumors 6502a

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

As an education facility, their web site must meet Section 508 guidelines, which means the site needs to be accessible by those who are disabled such as the blind and deaf. Flash some times breaks Section 508 requirements because a screen reader may not be able to access text or links on the page. I don't use Flash enough to know of way around it, but is something you really need to look into because the school could potentially get into legal issues for not abiding by Section 508.

http://www.section508.gov/

I'd personally go with a PHP powered calendar. There are a few free ones out there if you do a search.

4. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm quite sure its not that big of a deal. . . Blind? lol.

thanks

still on the hunt and tweaking around.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Why exactly do you think being blind is funny?