Building websites, photo editing, video editing - New 13" vs 15" pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ExaltedDante, Jun 8, 2009.

1. ExaltedDante macrumors newbie

Well, I will be getting into starting a few websites, photo editing, and possibly video editing. I'm at a loss right now because I was going to go for the 15" until today. The following are the two I'm torn between:

13" macbook pro 2.53ghz with 4gb ram. Adding time capsule and apple care puts me at around $2,000.

15" macbook pro 2.66ghz with the 9600m gt and 4gb ram. Adding the same stuff puts me at around $2500.

I like the size of the 13" macbook pro so bigger is not better. Which should I get for the tasks I will be using. Does it come down to the graphics card? And if so, how much better will the mac run with the GT?

Also, off-topic, should I get the airport extreme and an external hd instead of the time capsule?

Thanks,

ExaltedDante

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

A 13 inch screen will be very difficult to work with for any design apps. Unless you will mostly use it plugged into an external monitor, get the 15".

I'd get the AP extreme and buy a separate external HD. The n wifi will last a lot longer than the current HD will. It will be cheaper to swap in bigger HDs when you need the extra space.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I agree. I love the 13" form factor - it's why I have a MacBook and not a Pro - but for design, you'll want more screen space. Video editing and Photoshop on a 13" display is not particularly fun, and you'll quickly grow frustrated.

Now, if you plan on getting an external display, ignore all that. :)

For your uses, the machines are very similar. The graphics card will not make a difference in PS or video editing, unless you're working with 3D modelling. RAM is the important thing.

4. ExaltedDante thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I currently connect my computer to my 40" sony HDTV and it works great. I may get a 22" monitor but haven't decided. I may go with the 13" and save some money and even purchase a wireless mouse and keyboard to use with my TV.

It's good to know the graphics cards doesn't change things too drastically.