Building websites/stores with HTML5 (desktop & mobile devices)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by champ01, Apr 11, 2010.

1. champ01 Guest

Hey guys,

Couple of questions... here goes!

I hired a few developers and designers to build websites for our store and other purposes.

They like working with cms Joomla but I'm getting the feeling that Joomla is slow in developing new tools. (if I read correctly 1.5 > 1.6 is taking years and still not finished)

They also wanna use Magento for building the web store inside these websites.
    I've no idea if this is any good, one thing is good in that its free!

Steve is all about HTML5 and how much better it is than Flash but what are the best tools to build a magnificent website and what are all the capabilities?

So my question for you guys is this:

What is the best cms to build websites with?
    Is Magento good enough to be a powerful web store?

Here are few point I told the team to keep in consideration:

- Extremely fast
    Loading content should be no problem even if its gonna be pretty heavy (HD video, high resolution photo's and mp3 in high quality.

- Easy in use
    Everything needs to look clean and every category needs to load from one page, meaning that one page consists out of multiple layers that refresh when an action has been made.
    I hate going from page to page to page and reload every single one of them.

- Build for mouse and touchscreen
    It needs to run smooth on a desktop computer but since we're going in the age of touchscreen's I wanna be prepared as well.

- Animations without flash
    because mobile devices from Apple are not gonna be able to play flash and other devices maybe will do the same thing everything needs to be flash free in order to make it work on most of the touchscreen devices.

- Easy to rebuild
    We have in mind to turn the websites into apps but not in a short period of time.
    If we do it I don't want everything to be completely rebuild but use the modules that were already created (to save time and money)

PS. Please try to explain it in simple english as I'm all new to this.

Thanks!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'll just talk to one point. Forget HTML5 for right now. For an e-commerce site you want to widest browser support, and IE6 is still in large use, and it doesn't know anything about HTML5 (along with IE7/8). There are other common browsers that don't either. Also, in case you don't know, HTML5 and Flash are not comparable things. HTML is simply a markup language, not a technology like Flash. When people speak of HTML5 replacing Flash, what they really mean is that using HTML5's video and canvas tags along with JavaScript, can be used to replace some of the more common things Flash is used for on web sites (videos, animations, navigation, advertisements, etc.). But like I said earlier, older browsers won't work with these new tags because they were built before they existed.

I don't work on e-commerce sites so can't make any recommendations for a CMS.

3. champ01 thread starter Guest

Thnx for the reply

About IE....

I think its the worst browser of all and will drop it in an instance if it doesnt work with the things I want
    This could cost me clients but I really don't care
    Never will i ever be a slave to the crap Microsoft produces.

Maybe i'm being a bit harsh but cant stand it when companies sit on there lazy ass because they have a monopoly position.

I'm all for safari or Firefox

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Build your app to work without fancy javascript first. Once that works then worry about javascript, html5 and other fancy stuff.

If you use a PHP or Ruby framework, as i use my Cabbit framework then you can set up browser specific view and layout files using the same backend PHP or RUBY application code.

This means you can have one application base code with a set of stylesheets and views for different sized browsers and technologies.

My set up for a app i build for a client was a init function that loads up a set of views, layouts and stylesheets for ie6, iphone safari, ie7/8, and a safari/firefox/everything else. This way when the next big thing comes out you're able to just make a new set of views, layouts, and stylesheets.

Views - Module layout, like a form or list of posts
    Layouts - Skeleton pages that the views plug into

I suppose the advice i would give primarily development resources and budget to making a stable base application using noting more fancy than header redirects.