building with anticipation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J.L.Photography, Jun 25, 2012.

1. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

So... as most are, im waiting as a 2-3 weeker..........

Im upgrading from not only a Dell, but a core2duo 2.2 at that, with 4gb of ram, and a slow HDD...

Can you all tease me on how much of an improvement ill be recieving with my 2.3/16/256 retina? i cant wait to process my first images on it... im very excited...

regardless of all the heresay on negative issues that have popped up, i wont believe any of it until mine arrives and i see it happen before my vary eyes.

how does everyone feel this machine will blast my current one away!?

(if this post seems pointless, im sorry, but i cannot find another way to remove the anticipation and excitement but to just talk about it) :D

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I occasionally scream randomly. Don't think it makes the time go faster, but feels good anyway... :D

3. eba macrumors regular

My guess is you'll be very happy with your new rMBP, especially since it will be such a huge upgrade from your current machine.

There will be a glitch here and there, mostly due to software that needs to be upgraded, but those issues will sort themselves out in time. In the meantime, enjoy it!

4. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

i would do that, but my wife is already screaming at me occassionally because i wont shut up about my new retina blah blah blah, then i reply, so.... hows ur brand new 2012 macbook air? lol

5. photosaurus macrumors regular

It's going to be much like your first microwave oven. You'll wonder how you lived with that old Dell before.

6. wiznet macrumors regular

I also have a Dell Laptop, with similar specs to yours. It scores about 2500 on Benchmarks.

Your new computer: http://puu.sh/DBTq

You'll love it - mine's on the way too! ;) Computer will be fast, fast, fast. :apple:

7. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

its funny becuase i saw this random youtube review and at the end he opened every single app on the machine and it was cool to watch 30 or so windows just pop up randomly all within like 15 seconds, i try to open one program and it takes like 30-50 seconds to fully respond lol

startup? pffft forget it

8. stevelam macrumors 65816

that pretty much goes for any recent computer with an SSD drive.

9. wiznet macrumors regular

The point is we're both going from POS laptops with **** HDDs.

It's just one more thing to drool over on the rMBP.

10. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

here is my current time to wait for the dell to start to windows from startup...

again, thats power button, to windows excluding how long i takes to actually load and let you open programs and use windows!

[​IMG]
    Untitled by J.L Photography, on Flickr

11. jcpb macrumors 6502a

It's like a breath of fresh air.

I'm running my MBPR at native res. It's just begging to be fondled.

12. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Personally, I can't wait for the first "I spilled coffee on my new MBP" or "Just dropped my new MBP down a flight of stairs! HELP" thread...:cool:

13. markp99, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

markp99 macrumors member

I have that exact config, coming from an 8GB Dell. Lightroom does not even blink at my 20MB raws, whereas I am sure you experienced lots of lag before!

My only concern is workflow and how I will manage my files. 256GB is going to be a constant effort. When and what to move on and off of USB 3.0 storage, then dealing with those transfer rates whilst loading images back into Lightroom for editing and review.

We shall see!

14. Hioctane macrumors newbie

l'm also switching from a Dell laptop.
    Dell Vostro 1500 / 2.00Ghz Core2Duo / 4GB Ram / 7200rpm 320GB HDD / 1680x1050 / Win 7 64bit

I'm currently exporting RAW files from my Canon 5D MkIII to jpg's in LR4.1 and it's sooooo slow! It's also killing the Dell, everything is now slow to respond. Even typing this is painful :(

So looking forward to making the switch to the rMBP / 2.3 / 16 / 256 :)

15. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, I hear u.... Occasionally my typing skips or freezes, then catches up...

Photoshop takes minutes to load lol

16. CUsurfer macrumors member

First off, I think you will be extremely happy with your purchase. I've been making frequent trips to Best Buy trying to decide if I want one and it is truly an amazing machine. The screen is absolutely stunning! Once you get retina, you'll never want to go back, that's for sure.

Not to hijack your thread, but since there are others giving their personal experiences, I still haven't decided if it's worth it. The performance issues, non-upgradeability and price really turn me off. I'm still trying to decide if I will get the regular MBP w/ HiRes vs the Retina, or just submit to the alluring cheaper prices of a PC. Since you are a previous Dell customer, you owe it to yourself to check out the new XPS 15. It should be revealed tomorrow. It looks like a really sweet machine (will have to wait for reviews). It's good to see PC manufacturers make some headway in the build quality/design department, when compared with Apple (it's still no MBP, but it's getting better).

17. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought ab

----------

I thought abOut that. I have butt loads in open dell credit from past purchases, but I'm going apple for its longevity and reliability... And it's performance regarding photos and movies.

I'm looking forward to a machine that will perform... And last... Without worrying about the OS and software going before the hardware...

18. photosaurus macrumors regular

Up until about a year and change ago, I was what you might call a Die Hard PC fan. Then, my company offered us a choice of MBP or Win 7 laptop upgrades at work... I thought I'd go for something new and different, and took the MBP. Been hooked ever since. Bought my wife an air last year, and now she's hooked.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm still a PC fan. Just not die hard. I still have my self built gaming rig, and I get great pleasure from tinkering with it, and playing Tim the Tool Man Tayler with it.. arrh. But when it comes to getting work done and supporting my family members computers, the Mac is freak'n awesome. I swear, they just work without any tinkering or weekends spent cleaning up the system. It's like a breath of fresh air.

I find the old Mac vs PC commercials Ironic in hindsight. I work on a mac, and play on a PC... and prefer it that way.

19. cmdrmac macrumors regular

I can't wait to get my new rMBP. I'm upgrading from a mid-2007 MacBook that has been my trusty partner for the past 5 years. I can't imagine how awesome the new computer is going to be - especially when I use Lightroom to edit photos.

20. brand macrumors 601

brand

2880 x 1800 ?

21. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya I suspect I'll use 'best retina' or a tad larger for xtra space, I tried the sizes at the store, 2800 is tiny!!!

Btw, what is "native" referring to?

22. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

The speed is ridiculous. Photoshop opens almost immediately (still waiting for the Retina update :( it looks horrible). Shutdown is actually kinda cool to watch because all of the windows just fly off the screen. The SSD is really fast.

High-res photos look incredible on the Retina screen. The clarity in them is almost surreal.