Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
I built a webpage for myself with iWeb. On my MacBook, it looks great.

However, one friend informed me that when he tried to access it, he got a virus alert saying the site was unsafe. I'm using Zymic free hosting - is that likely the issue, or could it be from iWeb?

Next, I accessed my site from a windows computer, only to find that none of my custom fonts were used and spacing was off on various objects.

How can I fix the compatibility issues with Windows?

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
It's not a virus, it's not even from your website. It's a stupid spyware program that he picked up somewhere else.

As to compatibility - the problem is browser-specific, not OS-specific. Internet Explorer is known to be a crappy piece of software with poor renders.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
It's not a virus, it's not even from your website. It's a stupid spyware program that he picked up somewhere else.

As to compatibility - the problem is browser-specific, not OS-specific. Internet Explorer is known to be a crappy piece of software with poor renders.

He's using McAfee. I figured that could be it, but wasn't sure.

The computer I tested on was using Firefox.

I used custom fonts that I've installed on my mac - with that, will they still show up in that font to everyone else, or did I make a mistake by going with custom fonts? If that is an issue, is there any way to fix it so that users see the custom fonts as well?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The free hosting you're using may have been used by hackers for distributing viruses and some search engines may have black listed the IP addresses associated with it for a while. That's one potential of what your friend is seeing. Or maybe your host was hacked and hackers put a virus on the site somewhere. It happens.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
*sigh*

I guess I'll need to remove the custom fonts. Or, replace some of the page titles with images of the text. Then, at least some of the page looks more unique.

Is there a good source to see supported web fonts?

Also, as far as hosting, I'm looking to switch to a real domain. How much can I expect to pay for a decent domain? If I pay for a domain, will my site be picked up by Google, or will I still need to manually go through the steps to get my site to show up?

Can anyone recommend a good domain provider?

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I've been using iPowerweb for over 5 years and have been completely satisfied. Currently, they're getting under $6/month for unlimited storage and unlimited transfer. They have a good control panel and lots of good front-end tools. You can get a domain name from them too, and it's free for the first year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.