Built a Social Network Site From Scratch

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ChicoWeb, May 6, 2010.

1. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

About 1 year ago, we started creating the logo, moodboards, design, and UI for a social networking site that revolves around car enthusiast. About 1 year and 1000+ hours we built one from scratch. All UI and Development! We had about 35 Interfaces mocked up, I would say 50+ PSD mockups. The last month we worked 12-14 hours a day getting this beast ready to launch by last Friday. I've finally caught up on sleep :) Anyways, I thought I'd share with the community, but if you're ever thinking about building one, either a.) don't b.) make sure you have a lot of money and patience :D

High Level View
    • Rating System
    • Profile System
    • Photo Galleries
    • Video Conversion with FFMPEG
    • Classifieds
    • Content Management
    • Friends
    • Message Center
    • Car Combats - Car Challenges -http://www.roadroyalty.com/search/combat.html?view-all
    • Standings
    • Transactional - Authorize CIM
    • Tokens

http://www.roadroyalty.com/

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Well it's quite a site. Very polished.

I do have two quibbles...

1. As it stands when looking at a cars photos you have to close the existing window to open up a new one. It would be nice to have either a slideshow feature or at least forward - backward arrows to see the photos without having to close the window.

2. "Post A Comment" should be "Post a Comment" (I prefer a lowercase 'a')

But don't let my quibbles get to you. You put a lot of work into the site and it shows. I like the slow roll-over effect in the purple buttons. It's just too bad I don't like cars. :p

I went back to the site and have one last quibble.

The thinner right-hand column can sometimes run short of content and its bright empty white background is really jarring in the dark design. A gray background would be easier on the eyes... not so contrasty.

3. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

4. 7031 macrumors 6502

Awesome work there mate. I honestly hope that all of your hard work pays off, since you clearly did a great deal of work there, and I honestly hope that you gain from it, and well, if nothing else then you can use this just to prove to people that you're able to do it.

I have to admit, it must feel great to know that you've made everything from scratch. If nothing else, I guess you can say that at least you fully understand your own code.

Good luck.

5. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Did you write the forum yourself too, i know from experience it can be a bugger to get a write a forum and get all the dots to connect.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

7. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well jQuery UI is just the client side code. I meant the backend system.

9. ChicoWeb thread starter macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

LAMP. The framework we used is one that we've been developing over the years. The ui looks a lot like out CMS software.

Yes, the forum is out of the box software. We decided to no reinvent the wheel there.

10. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Cool concept, alot of car friends and I have talked about a Facebook-style site geared specifically toward car enthusiasts. Couple thoughts though:

The name is stupid. Kinda rings of elitism. I can see it turning people away.

I don't see much use for the forums. I can already go to a dozen forums. I'd rather have a Facebook news feed style front page where I can see the status of friends, recieve updates on coming events, etc.

I'll pass the word to some friends, it'd be nice to see it grow.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yes.

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

wow, great job! i hope the site does well for you.

13. ChicoWeb thread starter macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Don't know why I didn't think of that!

14. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

How about
    Code:
    Ruby Script/Generate Scaffold AwesomeSocialSite.com forum blog gallery facebooklikeprofiles games 
    :p