Built in apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ewo1992, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

Why are some of the iPhones and itouchs built in apps not in the ipad, like clock, weather, stocks, calculator, I really would like to have these apps built in. I know there are tons of free apps for these though but I liked apples.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

A lot of people have wondered about this, but really, only Apple knows why, and they aren't talking.

3. gorskiegangsta, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

The only one whose exclusion bothers me is the calculator app. I think Apple would've been able to make some awesome improvements to it on the iPad. Every computer needs a good calculator app. As far as Clock, Weather and Stocks go, Apple probably believes that they won't be as useful on a non-pocketable device such as iPad. Stocks is pretty much a business oriented app so I'm not entirely sure how useful a native client would be on the iPad when you can just visit any website. I expect Apple feels the same way about Weather, since the iPad is less likely to be carried outside of home. Clock (alarm, timer, stopwatch, etc..) is also more useful on a handheld device than on an iPad.

I've been able to find some decent replacements for above apps, however:

Stocks: couldn't care less, though there are probably good alternatives on the app store

Calculator: PCalc Lite (free); HiCalc Calculator (free); HiCalc Calculator Pro (11 in 1) ($0.99) - amazing app for the price

Weather: Weather+ ($0.99); (free); Fahrenheit ($0.99) (free); Weather Live ($0.99) (free); Thermo (free)

Clock: Classic Clock (free) (Pro $0.99); Best Timer ($0.99)

EDIT:
    Voice Memos: Voice recorder for iPad ($0.99); MegaRecorder HD+ ($0.99); also GarageBand ($4.99) has recording functionality.

4. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

What about voice memos? What do people recommend as a replacement? Something that will record lectures efficiently...

5. j o s h macrumors newbie

Sorry but Digits is the best calc app (yes that includes Apple's Braun knockoff).

6. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I agree completely!

I would love to have the clock on my iPad. I often need to set alarms and don't want to go fetch my iPhone. Also, It'd be nice to have the weather and stock widgets for notification centre.

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

For lectures I would actually recommend one of the Note Taking apps with a built in voice recorder. Such as Noteability or Notes Plus.

8. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

ty

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I miss the clock app the most. There are apps that do simular but nothing quite as nice as the iPhone clock app.

Maybe we will be surprised!:confused:

10. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

what apps would you recomend for just taking notes and not recording lectures.

11. davenz macrumors regular

Paperport or Noterize

12. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

I don't mind the weather, stocks because I would only be able to access it if I had wifi. But for calculator and clock??? C'mon Apple, those are useful handy ones!

13. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

Isn't iPad used for business though? I mean, I guess Stock would be important then. And Clock would be super convenient for business people if they're always traveling, they could add different time zones, etc

And since a lot of people have been using iPads as their Laptop, it is important to include the calculator in the iPad. My dad never wanted a Laptop, but he's super happy with his Samsung Tablet, lol