Built In Audio And Light For Macbook Pro Blocked

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ACRammy, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ACRammy macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a problem with my macbook pro. It won't let me play audio. Whenever I press the audio volume up or down it gives a blocked signal, like it's muted. This also happens with the light that I can control on my macbook pro.

Does anyone know how I can fix this??

Thanks,

Amy.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

One possible cause of the audio symptom is if the computer either has, or thinks it has, an optical audio cable plugged into the output. Due to the way that works, it will disable the volume controls--all controls are handled by whatever is processing the audio stream at the other end, as with a DVD player or anything else that uses optical audio output.

I've read about occasional situations where the sensor within the headphone/audio out jack that detects an optical connection vs. an analog one (normal headphones, for example) gets "stuck", which would cause that symptom.

Have you plugged anything into that output recently? You might try plugging and unplugging a headphone or something similar several times to see if that causes it to kick in. There might be something you could poke with a pin, but that's just begging to break something, so I wouldn't try it.

The other possible source of that problem (other than just busted hardware, which can happen) is that the MacOS disabled that output. Open up the sound preference pane and take a look at the output section; see if the internal audio is listed and selected.

As for why the brightness, is this keyboard or display brightness? The former will be disabled if it's off. Does it still happen when it's dark in the room? What's the setting in the preferences?

3. TheCoupe macrumors member

This happened to a MacBook Pro owned by a friend of mine. He took it to our local Apple store where the genius (from memory) inserted a paper clip into the port and pressed a reset switch. So you can be happy in knowing that this is not a hardware fault.

I would read up more on how to reset the audio jack socket properly as this was a while ago, and I'm not sure as to exactly where the reset button was, but nearly sure it was actually in the audio port itself.

4. ACRammy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh! It worked. I put headphones in and out a few times and it worked!

Thanks so much guys,

I really appreciate the help.

:)