built in camera not working on mac side

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hans4, Jan 4, 2009.

1. hans4 macrumors newbie

soo i bought this new acer computer from craigs list. it only came with vista but the person we bought it from paid $500 to get lepeard put on it. the mac side wont reognize the built in acer camera and microphone, is there anyway to get it to?

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

You paid someone $500 to "illegally" install OS X onto PC?

Essentially, you have a hackintosh - and it isn't easy to get things to work, if even ever get them to work at all.

There's a reason Macs just "work" - because Apple designs the hardware and software. You'll have endless problems otherwise.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Probably not. Since it isn't an Apple computer, OS X has no idea how the camera camera works.

4. hans4 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

It breaks OS X's EULA if you install it on non-supported hardware.

Search for Pystar on Google ;)

6. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Lol, go to insanelymac.com

That will be more help for you to find the kexts.

Remember that fundamentally Macs are PCs, they use commodity parts so if you pick the parts that come in a mac when you build it, it'll work nicely.

The reason that Macs 'just work' is because they have a lower number of different devices to make drivers for. The minute you know what hardware will know is compatible (usually by looking on the Apple store) you'll be able to have a working system.

The thing I'm most annoyed about is someone stole $500 from you by doing that.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You didnt read what they wrote properly

"it only came with vista but the person we bought it from paid $500 to get leopard put on it"

They didnt pay for the leopard, they person they got it from did, this doesnt mean they passed the cost onto the person writing here.

8. hans4 thread starter macrumors newbie

correct i didnt pay to have lepeard on it....i woulda just bought a macbook instead

9. 2karen22 macrumors newbie

getting started with the built in camera and mic

I'm searching for help with the built in camera (and mic). How do we get started. My son is wanting to use it and I can't help him. Any direction you can give me? Where do I search on my computer to get started... I've looked every where and finally I googled my problem and stumble onto this site.
    I can't even find on this site where to post a new thread
    Thanks for your time.
    karen

10. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No, in practise it's not legally binding. Why? Because by its declaration you've already agreed to it before you have a chance to read what you're agreeing to, and implicit consent doesn't hold up in a court of law. It's just there to scare you, and to make the corporation feel good for having done so.

12. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

My question is why the hell did he have to pay that much to get it loaded on!?!?

13. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Also Why the hell would he? He should have just bought a used macbook!! used and older mac, way way better than brand new PC.... IMO

14. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I'm guessing the seller was talking out of his arse to sell the laptop. You know, make it sound a really good deal, since he's had to throw cash on the wee "extras".

15. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook