Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eteddyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
MN
Recently I replaced the hard drive on my iMac (thanks to all the helped me with that). After reinstalling the off of the original disk, my camera won't work. The little green light is on next to the lens but says it is inactive. is there ANY way to get that working again... Without opening it up I mean. What a pain in the ass that was!!! :eek:

Nov 28, 2010
located
What iMac do you have and what Mac OS X version does it use?
What applications have you tested the camera with? QuickTime, iMovie, Photo Booth?

eteddyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
MN
I have had this iMac for about 3-4 years. Running OSx - 10.4.
have only tried using photobooth

eteddyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
MN
It's one of the white ones. I had to remove the White frame and screen to get to the hard drive. As far as I could tell I didn't disconnect any of the wires up on top where the camera is. But when I put it all back together the ONLY thing that wasn't working was the camera. Our tech guy here at work was concerned about the camera... Not sure why?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
you did not disconnect the camera :eek:

here is the video how it should be done , most other videos just show you to unscrew the bottom and then just flip the front up , but that is totally wrong as you risk to damage these cables , here how its done proper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN3N_qxLlWk&feature=related

if you are lucky you only have a slightly lose connection on the camera side or logicboard side , if unlucky you stretched the cable a bit to much and broke the wires inside ,or the connector on the logicboard or camera side, these cables one is for micro and the other for the cam have inside very fine wires which are quiet sensible so are the connectors

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.