Built-in car USB with NO bluetooth... does speakerphone work?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nagromme, Mar 29, 2013.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I'm considering buying one of several recent cars that has built-in USB to connect an iPod/iPhone, and control the music from the steering wheel buttons.

But some of them lack bluetooth... so what about phone calls?

Will an iPhone connected to USB in a car typically play your calls through the speakers? (My current car's iTrip FM solution does not! It works with Siri but not calls.)

Mic is not a problem: I already have a dash-mount that puts the iPhone right next to the steering wheel, and people/Siri seem to hear me just fine. Likewise, having a button to answer/hang-up is no biggie: the screen is close to hand. All I need is to be able to hear the call without disconnecting the Lightning-to-USB cord (which of course would enable the iPhone's internal speaker--but that's too quiet for driving anyway).

I'm hoping the car's stock USB audio is sufficient and I don't need bluetooth. (AND don't need some third-party accessory.)

TIA!

2. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

All the USB connections I have used in cars, including the current one, play everything except calls (and apple maps navigation for some reason).

3. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Interesting. My Griffin iTrip plays Apple maps navigation/Siri, and all kinds of music/apps, but doesn't play calls.