Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happycadaver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
Germany
I would like to upgrade my iMac with an external SSD on which OSX will be running.

For me the question now is not TB or USB (TB is still overpriced), but if i should buy a complete package like from Samsung or LaCie or if it is better go for a SSD case and pick the exact SSD model i want?

At the moment i would go for the 1TB version, which clocks under 400 euros as complete package.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Doesn't really matter. The complete packages use the same SATA to USB bridges anyway, so the end result is the same. Buying separate is probably wiser as you can then reuse the SSD in a different computer in the future.

Reactions: happycadaver

happycadaver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
Germany
Before i will go shopping, i have a last small question.

Is there anything i have to pay attention to, when using the SSD as boot medium/system drive via USB 3.0? Something about TRIM enabling/disabling and OS 10.X?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You can't enable TRIM when booting from an external USB3 drive.

But I've been booting and running this way for going on 3.5 years now, and my advice is...
... don't even bother worrying about it.

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL.
(shouting is intentional and based on real-world experience).

My late-2012 Mini (booting from an SSD in an external USB3/SATA dock) runs exactly as fast today as it did when I first set it up to run this way in January 2013.

The only advice I can offer regarding the "lack of TRIM" is to leave an adequate amount of space (20% or so) "free" on your SSD.

Do this, and I predict you'll never notice any slowdown at all.

Reactions: happycadaver
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.