Built-in iPhone Calendar question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MatteoV, Jun 6, 2017.

1. MatteoV macrumors member

Hi community, I'd like to use my iPhone like a digital personal organizer and I'm trying to learn something about the Calendar built-in app inside iOS. My question:
    • Can I set the Calendar app so that it automatically moves the not completed tasks related to the day 'X' to the next day 'X+1' with higher priority than the tasks of the day 'X+1'? Example:
      • On Monday (every monday of every month) I have 10 tasks that I must complete/execute in that day +
      • I can't complete/execute the last 4 tasks (for some reasons) +
      • For the next day (Tuesday) I have other 5 different tasks than Monday.
      • Question: Can Calendar app automatically move the not completed 4 tasks of Monday to Tuesday putting them before the 5 tasks of Tuesday?
    I can't find a definitive answer for the following questions from expert iPhone users (who have an iPhone for so long):
    1. Can Siri launch home screen shortcuts (NOT only installed apps but Safari bookmarks, Workflow tasks with some names in the iPhone home screen, etc...)?
    2. Does exist an iPhone built-in app (provided by Apple iOS) that searches for different types of files (*.xls, *.pdf, e-mail extension file of the built-in email client app of iPhone, *.jpg, etc…) inside all installed apps of iPhone (Facebook, Photos, built-in email client app, etc…) and that selects only the files that user wants (for example files that are dated before a certain date, or single files that are bigger than 250 Mb, etc…) to perform some basic operations on that files? In other words I’m searching for an app (built-in or not Apple basic files explorer) that finds files created/downloaded by iPhone (user) and performs some basic operation on them like deleting, renaming with some criterions, moving them to dropbox personal account, etc… without allowing the user to interfere with the iOS operating system (that is: if user miss something using that app, the worst thing is that he deletes some personal files and NOT iOS system files). Does a similar app/way exist already in the last iOS version that perform what I ask?
    Thanks for all simple technical feedback based on your user experience about what I asked.
    Matteo

2. parkjisung macrumors newbie

parkjisung

I don't think the Calendar app can do that, no. OmniFocus 2 can, however.

3. MatteoV thread starter macrumors member

Hi parkjisung, thank you for your reply. I don't know OmniFocus 2 but it is too expensive (43,99 euros o_O) and I can not try it for a while, without spending money, to see if it meets my expectations...A few cheaper solutions?
    And about the last two question can you tell me something?
    Thanks

4. MatteoV thread starter macrumors member

Someone who could answer about iPhone question in the MacRumors forum related to iPhone please? Or I should ask iPhone questions to drilling experts or hunting and fishing forums?

5. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I'd personally go that route if I were you. Good luck!

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like what you are looking at is something that is more along the lines of a tasks/reminders app rather than a calendar app.

7. dangerfish macrumors 6502

The calendar really isn't a "task" manager. Its more of an "event" manager. Events are normally at a set date and time and don't move just because you didn't show up when the even was originally scheduled. So no, I don't think calendar will do what you are asking.

1. Siri can launch and even control some apps. I don't think Siri can launch a bookmark but I'm not certain. I don't know what a workflow on an iPhone would be.
    2. No.

8. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

For this, I would use the Reminders app, not Calendar.

You would set up recurring reminders for Monday, Tuesday, etc. When you complete them, you click the radial button and it goes away until next Monday. When Tuesday rolls around and you have your five new tasks, they'll show up along with the 3 that you didn't finish on Monday.

Reminders won't really sort them with priorities, but you'll see a red due date and an overdue note.

Try it out to see if it meets your needs.

9. MatteoV thread starter macrumors member

@ftaok: Hi! Thanks very much for your explanation. Built-in Reminder app is more suited to my needs than Calendar: I had chosen the built-in Calendar app for convenient viewing of the days of the month that doesn't exist in Reminder app, but it is undoubtedly a small limitation for me. I ask you something more specific about built-in Reminder app:
    1. Can I change Reminder settings in order to add tasks with '+' key and automatically to have the option "Reminder me one day" always enabled and the option "Repetition" always set to "Every day", without touching the iPhone screen several times to set, whenever, these two options?
    2. Can I set "Repetition" to reminder me every 15 minutes or 4 hours? Really only every day, every week, every 2 weeks, every mounth and every year? Not every X minutes/hours? If it is so, could you suggest me a valid app (OmniFocus 2 kindly suggested by parkjisung is undoubtedly too expensive for my purposes) that can remember to user the tasks he set every X minutes/hours?
    3. Can I change Reminder settings in order to have always the "Scheduled" window opened (when I launch the app Reminder) instead the "Reminder" window? This because the "Reminder" window can't put the tasks in chronological order and "Scheduled" can...In other words, can I hide the "Reminder" window in Reminder app settings for the fact that I find it useless since there is already the more efficient "Scheduled" window (that splits the tasks based on the day they were saved)?
    4. I've seen that in "Scheduled" window, if I have more than 6 tasks, I must scroll down the screen to see the '+' key in order to add other tasks. Could you suggest me a trick to add new tasks quickly when user has a lot of tasks (scrolling down the screen to find the '+' key is a little ridiculous...)

@dangerfish & C DM: Thanks for your reply. Could you kindly suggest me a section of MacRumors (if it exists) run by experts about Siri?

@dangerfish: a workflow created with the Workflow app ( https://workflow.is/ ) is a sequence of operations allowed by iOS and implemented in the Workflow app that are executed automatically when the user touches properly the screen of his device.
    About your second answer I accept, in the end and with huge disappointment against Apple, the absence of an iOS built-in app or a way/trick to perform basic operation, in a fast and intelligent manner, on files downloaded or created using built-in iPhone apps or non-Apple apps (downloaded apps).

Thanks

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I would suggest you read several recent iOS Calendar "guides" posted at online blogs or magazine web sites. Chances are...that if you read 9 or 10 of those and don't see any mention of a feature...the feature doesn't exist.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

But Brian!!! It's the Jesus phone! It's supposed to do what I think it does!!!! ;)

12. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I don't believe so. Seems like a good idea. You should submit it to apple.
    I've never come across this one. I'm not sure if Reminders would be the right app. Do you need to be able to see the 15 min/4 hour reminder? Could the alarm clock work for you?

On my phone, if I have the Scheduled tab open when I switch apps, the next time I go to reminders, the Scheduled window is in front. Does your phone behave differently?

Use Siri to add reminders. Then edit them with the keyboard.

13. MatteoV thread starter macrumors member

Hi ftaok! I like how your answer, thank you!
    Based on your answers and since you are, I think, an experienced Apple user, I understand that:
    • iPhone built-in Reminder/Calendar app (iOS v10.3.2) is too poor for my pourposes and built-in Alarm-Clock is too basic (no chance to add text to tasks, no chance to add tasks starting on a specific day of the month/year, no chance to repeat the same task several times in a day - for it I should add a lot of identical tasks with the Alarm-Clock app - every, for example, 20 minutes, until the user complete that task, etc...)
    • Using Siri to add reminders/task is a good idea (and I like a lot the power of Siri) but sometimes I need to add tasks silently (without my voice), so I hope strongly Apple will modify his own Reminder app in order to allow user to add tasks with the '+' key always visible, regardless of how many tasks are saved (in the "Scheduled" window);
    • About "Scheduled" and "Reminder" windows, you are right: if I open the "Scheduled" window, I close the Reminder app and I re-open the app, the "Scheduled" window is on screen. So I noticed that the "Reminder" window, even if it seems useless compared to "Scheduled" window, it has the '+' key always visible in the bottom. In my opinion, Apple should (strongly) improve his own apps (the apps we find inside the iOS) to allow generic user to do what he needs (for Reminder app: save tasks, delete tasks, rename tasks, etc...) with the minimum number of touches on the phone screen...For now, using the built-in Reminder app, in order to add easily a task (without scrolling the screen to search the '+' key) I need to perform the following operations:
      1. open the Reminder app;
      2. switch to "Reminder" window (if I'm in "Scheduled" window);
      3. touch the '+' key and add the task (in the "Reminder" window the add task key '+' is always visible);
      4. touch the circle at the right with "i" inside to set parameters related to the task (like "Remind me one day", or "Repetition" if "Remind me one day" is enabled, etc...);
      5. touch "Ok" in the up right corner of screen to save the parameters;
      6. switch to "Scheduled" window to see all tasks in chronological order (that is, in my opinion, the only logical solution when we talk about personal task manager).
    To add a task, If I need to execute all the operations above, I can't call a phone "smartphone".

Come on Apple, instead of only creating new things just to arouse the appetite of millions of people, please improve the things that already exist in your devices! Not only about iOS security, but ALSO about convenience and use of the device!
    Bye