Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruitmonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Hi!

I have a Late 2008 :apple: MacBook Pro 17". After installing 10.9.1 update, the built in iSight doesn't work.
When I try to use apps like PhotoBooth, Skype etc., iSight's green light turns on but after that, nothing - spinning wheel in the app.

To be comletely honest, I didn't notice if the camera was working in 10.9, because I rarely use it but I can confirm, that everything was fine when I was using Mountain Lion.

I tried to resolve this issue :

Repair Disk Permissions
SMC Reset
PRAM Reset
Clean 10.9.1 Install
Every step, that is provided in Apple's "Troubleshooting iSight" article.

Check out the screenshot from System Report, the serial number is corrupted :

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 14.43.03.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 14.43.03.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,045
Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Does your camera show an image if you log in to a different user account?
Create a new user just to test (in your System Preferences/Users & Groups pref pane)
Log out of your present user, and log in to your new user, then the quick test would be Photobooth, I suppose.

bruitmonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Does your camera show an image if you log in to a different user account?
Create a new user just to test (in your System Preferences/Users & Groups pref pane)
Log out of your present user, and log in to your new user, then the quick test would be Photobooth, I suppose.

No, the camera does not work in different user account.
Created root user, still no luck!

bruitmonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Ooops. Sorry about that. Only other thing I can think of is to reseat the cable. Otherwise you would need to replace the display assembly. (or if it is possible to take that apart, then the iSight module.)

Reseated the cable, did a SMC & PRAM reset again - still nothing.

I haven't moved my laptop around, so things can't break out of nothing!

Guess it's a bug in Mavericks because as I stated before, everything was fine in ML. By the way there are plenty of discussions in Apple forums about this problem, but nobody has found a solution yet.

The only option is to wait for the next system update, I guess. This sucks :(

Last edited:

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Install Mountain Lion to a spare external hard drive. Or partition the internal into 2 partitions. Then install Mountain lion on the other partition. If the camera comes back on nothing broke. And that means the bug is in the OS. If it doesn't work either then you broke something.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Install Mountain Lion to a spare external hard drive. Or partition the internal into 2 partitions. Then install Mountain lion on the other partition. If the camera comes back on nothing broke. And that means the bug is in the OS. If it doesn't work either then you broke something.

Why are you assuming he broke something?

bruitmonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Riga, Latvia

Installed ML on a seperate partition. The camera still doesn't work.
I guess it's time for the laptop to be serviced :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.