Built in Mic for Skype?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dougomite, May 14, 2011.

1. dougomite macrumors newbie

Hey folks, I have a Mac Pro, 10.6.4 2.8 Ghz Quad core. I am new to Skype and I am wondering if it has a built in Mic, or what would be my best option for the use of Skype. I need to get a webcam, and I wasn't sure if I would need a headset and mic also. Thanks for the advice! :)

2. aibo macrumors 6502

There is not a built-in mic on the Mac Pro, however many webcams you'll find have mics built-in.

3. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

4. dougomite thread starter macrumors newbie

5. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

+1. I personally recommend this one - inexpensive, great sound quality, practical, and the on/off button is a great asset.

cheers!

6. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

The MicFlex is a good Apple-styled USB microphone which you may be able to find online. It was originally sold through MacMice who do not seem to be around under that name but other shops still have stock.

It has a silver hemisphere base with a USB port on it (which can be used for other things when your microphone isn't connected). The mic in on the end of a stiff but flexible metallic neck that can be twisted into shape.

When I used it on Ventrillo, I often received compliments that I had a good mic that didn't sound scratchy like other analog mics tend to do.

If you can't find a MicFlex any more (amazon US have someone selling them) then any USB mic would do as a substitute.

7. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Oh, and remember that the Apple Cinema Display has the built in camera and mic already.