Built-in overheat protection?

eicca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
so I'm laying out in the sun, it's like 95 degrees and my iPhone is black... Suddenly the brightness drops to 50% and the slider won't get it above that, it feels choppy and sluggish. So I shut it off and put it in the fridge for a few minutes and now it's fine.

Makes sense that Apple would include a system throttle if temperature got too high. Anyone else had experience or can confirm?

eclipse01

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
so I'm laying out in the sun, it's like 95 degrees and my iPhone is black... Suddenly the brightness drops to 50% and the slider won't get it above that, it feels choppy and sluggish. So I shut it off and put it in the fridge for a few minutes and now it's fine.

Makes sense that Apple would include a system throttle if temperature got too high. Anyone else had experience or can confirm?
They do, it should be a whole other screen that won't even let you unlock it (saying the phone is too hot to use)

Reactions: rui no onna

eicca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I would be very careful about doing this. If there is any humidity at all it can condense while still inside your iPhone and cause water damage and other problems.
Crap. I'll go play some games and get it good and hot again

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

You're joking right?
You really put it in the fridge?