built-in speakers don't work after installing Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cleder.perez, Nov 28, 2007.

1. cleder.perez macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I have a MacBook Pro (15'', Intel Core duo 2.4 GHz, 2GB ram) that I´ve bought in June. Yesterday I upgraded my mac to Leopard and, since then, the built-in speakers haven´t worked. The sound preferences say: "the selected device has no output controls".
    Headphones work pretty well, though.
    Well... I've tried resetting PRAM and SMC, but it did'nt work. I´ve also tried reinstalling Leopard and updating it to 10.5.1. But it didn´t work either.
    So, today I´ve just used the option "erase and install" and reinstalled Leopard, erasing everything from my mac. Well... it didn´t work, and I still can´t make my built-in speakers work.
    Does anyone have any idea about what should I do?

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

You need to contact AppleCare technical support or take your MBP into an Apple Store.

3. cleder.perez thread starter macrumors newbie

4. McStupid macrumors newbie

Hello there ..

I had a similar problem after upgrading last night. I didn't get to the point of reformat / reinstall as I found an easy fix (for my problem anyway!)

After discovering that whilst my speakers did not work, my headphone-out jack did, I simply cycled that connection a couple of times. Evidently the iBook was fooled into thinking they were still plugged in and had disabled the onboard speakers.

Good luck. :p